cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum lines/entries for an ACL

ccnastupro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I would like to know how many lines (or entries) can I enter for an extended or named ACL in a Cisco router (IOS 12.3)

Also: if you enter one line beyond that amount , what is the router's behaviour, does it overwrite the acl from the beginning or does it trigger an error msg?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Hi:

I'm not sure there is a limit. If there is, not only have I never read it anywhere before, but I am positive you will never reach it. No one will.

But here is an interesting study on the effects of ACLs on Cisco router performance.

HTH

Victor

Thanks a lot! I also thought so. The thing is I am not connecting to the router by console, I'm using an automated program so, it may write a lot of acls.

This router is a 800 series...

(I am not a hacker...:) )

If limit is about 10.000, well that's almost infinity, but 1000 or 500. Well 1000 it's still a lot but 500, maybe not so much.

I'll have a loook at the paper, thanks!

Hi:

Can I ask what you're using this router for that you are worried that 500 lines of access lists may not be enough to support your application?

Thanks

Victor

The program I'm talking about writes as many acls as existing IDS alerts :) , for instance existing alerts in a log file.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card