cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

hsrp error

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,one of our sites has 2 switches acting as core with hsrp enabled.

Suddenly, last 2 weeks i have noticed that there are some strange messages on the 2nd switch, which is the standby one.

These messages dont appear on primary switch.I have attached the relevant shots.There werent any changes done.

Please advise the possible cause & what should be the rectification?

2)If the 2 switches are connected to each other via fiber patches over gigabit channels , does the hsrp communication take place over these uplinks?What would be the possible issues that would arise if any of these are inactive/down state between the 2 switches?

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Hello there, Sunny:

S01#

!

interface Vlan94

description WareHouse

ip address 10.34.11.251 255.255.254.0

standby ip 10.34.11.254

standby priority 110

standby preempt

Standby Switch:

S02#

!

interface Vlan94

description NewBldgL1

ip address 10.35.11.252 255.255.254.0

standby ip 10.35.94.254

standby preempt

This is confusing.

You have different subnets and VIPs assigned to the vlan 94 interfaces on each switch.

You are causing a conflict.

Is the new building supposed to be vlan95 perhaps?

HTH

Victor

These are the existing running configuration.I may have to check on this.

Would changing the vip resolve the case?

& how about the uplinks.

Yes, the VIP is an IP address that is shared by both vlan 94 interfaces on both switches. They must be the same for any particular HSRP group.

[EDIT} As for the IP address of the interfaces, I just noticed that you are using a /23 mask, so they are indeed both in the same vlan. My mistake. [EDIT]

[EDIT 2] OK, lets try this again. :-) I was right the first time. The IP addresses on the vlan interfaces ARE in different vlans. One is 10.34 and the other is 10.35. I have a horrible sinus infection and the meds are making me more stupid than usual. Sorry.

To summarize: The IP addresses of the interfaces must be in the same subnet and the VIP for each vlan interface must be the same. [EDIT 2]

HTH

Victor

Thanks for clarifying this.

Would there be any specific reasons why all of a sudden this standip appears different on second switch, even without any manual configurations done.Would vtp have any role in this?

VTP will not change your IP address configurations.

It may be because your Secondary switch restart and last time you have not saved your configuration

Or somebody mess up with the configration

Check with Show Version

H2H

Bhargav

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card