cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone ERROR 7960

Charlie Mayes
Level 1
Level 1

My IP phone will not download the software from the TFTP on the CME Router.

This is the error it has now. Protocol Application Invalid

Everything was working fine before. Does any one know how I can fix this issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes. More exactly, since the layer 3 switch will actually route traffic between data and voice vlan, the ccme router will use subinterfaces only to communicate with devices in said vlans.

Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Perform a factory reset, and check status via "debug tftp events".

I performed a Factory reset but, did not run that debug yesterday. I will try it this evening. Have you seen this before? What did you do to fix it?

Execute the steps above, and the debug output will indicate you what to do.

Thanks. I will do it and hopefully this lead me in the right direction. Is this a common problem with Cisco phones?

Sometime the flash memory becomes corrupt and you need to factory reset.

I understand. I bought these phones off Ebay and hopefully will not need any software to reload the whole phone. If I do what do you suggest? I have an AUX port on this phone. How do I interface the phone via the AUX port if I can not login to it via IP? Do I need some special type of cable? I am new to this whole voice thing. Sorry for all the questions.

You absolutely need the sccp firmware for the phones, any version will will do.

The AUX port is not used for logging in and does not help you in restoring the phones.

How do I go about getting the SCCP firmware for 7960?

You buy a support contract (aka smartnet) for the phone, either online or from a dealer, then you're allowed downloads.

I got a chance to run the debug tftp events after plugging up my ip phone lastnight. I plugged up my working phone and saw the tftp download the working phone requested from the debug. I then plugged up the phone that has the Protocol Application Invalid Error and did not see were it looks for a tftp server via the debug running on the router. Is the phone broken or something? When ever I reset it to factory default after rebooting it goes to configuring ip then goes to the Protocol Application Invalid Error after a couple of minutes.

Are you choosing the delete config at the reset menu ?

Do you have no debug output whatsoever when you that ?

Yes I am choosing the erase config option

Option 1 is to save the current Config the on Phone

Option 2 is to erase the current Config on Phone

I always select Option 2

As far as the the debug I get no output what so ever from the router when I boot the phone with the Protocol Application Invalid Error.

Do you have DHCP with option 150 ?

Also I suggest you connect phone to a PC with TFTPD32 and wireshark for further analysis.

I'e never seen a phone that cannot be recovered being persistent enough.

Yes, I have configured my Windows DHCP server with the option 150 TFTP and even entered the IP address of the tftp server. I will do the wireshark thing tonight. Should I be using the Native data vlan or the voice VLAN when I do this? My other phone is on VLAN 1 Data Vlan and it has no problems.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: