cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recovering Boot software for 2811

John.R.James
Level 1
Level 1

I am helping an Afghanistan network administrator who could not remember the password for his 2811 ISR. When going through the recover password procedure, the boot software was apparantly corrupted since the console interface will now now longer respond to either the romomn 1> prompt or the Router> prompt. The network sdministrator does not have a Cisco support agreement. How does he download boot software for the 2811 flash memory device? Thanks!

Cheers,

John

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

Without a valid maintenance contract I am not sure that he will be able to download new bood software.

Is it possible that the problem is not corrupted boot software, but perhaps is that in the password recovery procedure there was a keystroke error and the config register was set to something other than 0x2142? This could have the effect of changing the speed of the console port. And it produces the symptom that the router will not respond to the console. I would suggest that he try setting his terminal emulator software (Hyperterm or whatever he is using) to the lowest speed of 1200, and work up through all of the speed possibilities and see if one works. Note that with Hyperterm you sometimes need to stop and start the connection to get the software to recognize the new setting for speed.

[edit] if he power cycles the router does he get output on the console? Knowing this might help clarify whether it is a speed issue. If there is no console output it is more likely to be a speed issue. If there is console output during the boot but the router does not respond to the console then it is likely to be something other than speed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks! The speed change on the console worked and the administrator was able to configure the router.

The router was provided under a contract with the Afghanistan Ministery of Defense and the network administrator was not provided the disks for the router or with a service maintenance agreement for the router.

Cheers,

John

John

I am glad that it turned out to be an issue with console speed rather than with corrupted boot software (which would be much more difficult to resolve). I am glad that my suggestion pointed toward a solution for the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Network administrator does not have a Cisco support agreement? Wait ... who owns the 2811 router? Does the router have a support agreement?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card