cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"switches reported as partially successful"

subashmbi
Level 1
Level 1

switches are reporting as "partially successful" due to the VLAN config fetching issue . I am attaching the screen shots for these errors.

16 Replies 16

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In order for RME to fetch the vlan.dat, it must be able to login to the switch via telnet or SSH, then copy the config back to the RME server using TFTP. Since you didn't post any errors, I have no idea exactly which part of this is failing, but make sure the username/password configure in DCR is correct for these switches, and make sure TFTP is allowed between device and server.

Hi,

I am getting these messages on my distribution switches. all are transparent mode.

RUNNING Apr 20 2009 14:31:00 Command failedTELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to 10.10.0.1 - Cause: Connection refused. VLAN Config fetch is not supported using TFTP. VLAN Config fetch is not supported using RCP.

Create a vlan on the switch, this will make a vlan.dat in flash, too.

After that, CW will download this vlan.dat and your config job runs fine without partially collected.

Even if u delete the created vlan, the vlan.dat will keep in flash.

Does the vlan.dat file exist on these switches?

No,we ar using the 6509 switches.

if we create a new vlan.dat and uploaded into the flash .it is not adding because zero bytes.

kindly advice me .

You are seeing CSCsq66458. As you already guessed, the workaround is to create a bogus vlan.dat file on flash. Since VTP transparent mode does not use vlan.dat, and you cannot use the workaround, you must ignore the partial failures until the fix comes out in RME 4.3 (part of LMS 3.2) this summer.

Hi Clarke,

Thanks for the valuable information, but in our network one 3750 switch transparent mode is having vlan.dat file in flash and SVI,s.But this switch also showing "partilly successfully"

What errors are you seeing for this 3750?

In the LMS, i am getting partially succefully.

What is the specific error? For the other switch it was:

RUNNING Apr 20 2009 14:31:00 Command failedTELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to 10.10.0.1 - Cause: Connection refused. VLAN Config fetch is not supported using TFTP. VLAN Config fetch is not supported using RCP.

yes, same message

Then there must be a reachability issue with TFTP from the device to the server. Create an empty vlan.dat in the server's tftpboot directory. Make sure the permissions allow all users full control.

SSH to the problem device, and do:

copy flash:vlan.dat tftp://SERVER/vlan.dat

Where SERVER is the IP address of the server. What output do you get?

Hi Clarke,

These are the steps we tried, the details are given below:-

Layer 3 Switch

--------------

RFHostel1#copy flash: tftp:

Source filename []? vlan.dat

Address or name of remote host []? 86.36.71.22

Destination filename [vlan.dat]?

%Error opening tftp://86.36.71.22/vlan.dat (Timed out)

Layer 2 Switch

---------------

ITS01S1#copy flash tftp:

Source filename []? vlan.dat

Address or name of remote host []? 86.36.71.22

Destination filename [vlan.dat]?

TFTP: error code 2 received - 16739

%Error opening tftp://86.36.71.22/vlan.dat (Permission denied)

1) I checked the firewall, the tftp port is opened.

2) My management interface and server Ip address are different. ping reach ability is there.

kindly advice any other workaround to solve this issue.

The first error indicates that TFTP is being blocked. In order for TFTP to work, udp/69 AND all high UDP ports must be open between device and server.

The second error could indicate that you did not create the empty vlan.dat file on the TFTP server before doing the copy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: