cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset password on Cisco 2100 Wireless LAN controller

timstyles
Level 1
Level 1

My company has been using a Cisco 2100 Wireless LAN controller for about two years, without any problems. I'd now like to change the configuration, but nobody knows the password (which has changed from the default of 'admin').

I understand there isn't a way I can reset the password, even using the console cable. How can I find out the factory password? The details of the unit are:

S/N: JMX1135K001

MAC: 00070e25bd60

Embedded BIOS version 1.0(12)6

The device is out of warranty and not under a service contract, which is why I'm posting on this forum.

Many thanks in advance,

Tim Styles

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tim,

There is no default username and password. These are created when you enter the startup configuration wizard. If you have documentation about the wireless, you might be able to just delete the configuration and start all over again. If you have snmp and you know the snmp strings, you might be able to get some of the wlc information.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tim,

Scott's right. Also, there's no "password recovery" for the WLC. The only way is to reset the appliance into factory default.

Hope you backed up your config.

Hmmm ... If you do backed up the config, search for the encrypted password. Create a TAC and pray that they will use their password decrypter.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tim,

There is no default username and password. These are created when you enter the startup configuration wizard. If you have documentation about the wireless, you might be able to just delete the configuration and start all over again. If you have snmp and you know the snmp strings, you might be able to get some of the wlc information.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tim,

Scott's right. Also, there's no "password recovery" for the WLC. The only way is to reset the appliance into factory default.

Hope you backed up your config.

Hmmm ... If you do backed up the config, search for the encrypted password. Create a TAC and pray that they will use their password decrypter.

timstyles
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the replies leolaohoo and fella5.

I had been reading the quick start guide here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/2100/quick/guide/ctrl206q.html

and it implied that resetting the unit would still require me to enter a username and password.

When I tried it I saw the message about entering 'Recover-Config' for the username, and then I reconfigured the controller with a new user name and password. The quick start guide also mentions the default values of 'admin' if a username and password are not entered.

Thanks for pointing out that a reset is all that's required to enter a new username and password.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the rating.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: