Views
Helpful
Replies

WRP400 stops responding after browsing certain websites

rgp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi support

We are a danish ISP who use Linksys RTP300 and WRP400 routers as CPE equitment. Trough our Danish Cisco contact (Henrik Bønnelycke) we have been told to discuss our prolems with the WRP400 router here.

Our problem is that the router seems quite unstable at many customers (who have no problem with RTP300). In the last few months we have been forced to replace a large amount of routes because the WRP400 just router stops responding (Cannot ping LAN+WAN interface, phone dead) while browsing certain websites fx. http://www.nordjyske.dk. At the time we are not able to repoduce the error here i the office and the problem are only at some customers.

At the begining we testet if the customers NIC was the source to the failure but as I see it it is not the case. We have tryid to exchange the customers NIS card and the problem was the same. Together with the fact that it works with a RTP300 router we must conclude something must be wrong with the WRP400.

From my point of view the problem could be related to the router content filter, activex filter or something like that when all the customers all have the problem on certain websites.

Please help we replaces 10-20 WRP400 routes every week right now and have no faith let for the WRP400 router.

Danmark.

René Gjerlev Pedersen

Driftstekniker

Bredbåndnord I/S

218 Replies 218

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi René,

We're not support, just interested helpers. Anyone can help anyone on these community pages.

I encourage you to open a trouble ticket with support and to contact your Cisco account representative in order to have this issue properly escalated.
Support is available at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

I have not heard of the type of problem that you describe. Some questions:

1. When the router stops responding to ICMP and HTTP:

a. Does pressing the reset button restart the router?

b. What LEDs are lit?

c. What happens when you go off-hook and press **** on the phone in port 1?
d. If you get to the configuration menu, press 110#, is the correct IP address assigned to the device?

2.  Does replacing the WRP400 make the problem go away for the customer, or does the new WRP400 become unstable too?

3.  How often does a WRP400 stop responding before you replace it?

4.  How are the WRP400s configured and provisioned?

a. Is this process automatic, or perfomed manually?

b. If manually, who performs configuration, you [ISP], partner, customer?

5.  Can you please enable syslog on some WRP400s so that we can see what the WRP400 reports when it fails?

Please send me a sample WRP400 configuration to paborn at Cisco.com

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

1. When the router stops responding to ICMP and HTTP:

a. Does pressing the reset button restart the router?

Not testet, but router works after poweroff and then on again.

b. What LEDs are lit?

Not sure, but I know that Phone1 turns off. I'll get back on that.

c. What happens when you go off-hook and press **** on the phone in port 1?

Nothing Phone port is dead
d. If you get to the configuration menu, press 110#, is the correct IP address assigned to the device?

2.  Does replacing the WRP400 make the problem go away for the customer, or does the new WRP400 become unstable too?

With a new WRP400 the customer have the same problem. When replaced with RTP300 everything works.

3.  How often does a WRP400 stop responding before you replace it?

Customeres who are forced to power off and then on agian more than once a week. Most of them sees the problem every day.

4.  How are the WRP400s configured and provisioned?

a. Is this process automatic, or perfomed manually?

The voice part of the router is configuret with SPA file fra TFTP server

Router part quite straigt forward WAN = DHCP, LAN 192.168.15.0/24 DHCP server active from address .100. IGMP Proxy enabled (IP-TV)

b. If manually, who performs configuration, you [ISP], partner, customer?

5.  Can you please enable syslog on some WRP400s so that we can see what the WRP400 reports when

I'll try to get some syslog but it is not simpel (hours of test at angry costumers :-( )

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I look forward to the additional information as soon as you are able.

What happens when you go off-hook and press **** on the phone in port 1?

Even though the phone port is dead, please go off hook and press **** to see if anything is heard

The configuration menu should play, even when the port is not configured and does not play dial tone.

How often does a WRP400 stop responding before you replace it?

Customeres who are forced to power off and then on agian more than once a week. Most of them sees the problem every day.

Can you collect a WireShark trace during the day in order to capture an event? This may provide clues as to the root cause of the problem.

Can you please enable syslog on some WRP400s so that we can see what the WRP400 reports when

I'll try to get some syslog but it is not simpel (hours of test at angry costumers :-( )

Collecting syslog logs shouldn't disrupt the customers any more than they already are being disrupted. Let them work as normal, or ask them to see if they can cause the problem to occur while you're logging, turn it into a challenge for them. :-)

What version of firmware are you loading on the WRP400 devices?

Please try version 1.01.00.

Please focus on replicating the problem and then describing for us so we can replicate in our labs and fix the issue/s.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

I have collected syslog from a costumer and attached it to this. Take a look in the syslog file around 12/05 08:49 at this time the router shuts down.

/René

Hi René,

Thanks for the syslog information. We'll analyze it to see what it yields.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

René,

1. What version of firmware are you loading on the WRP400 devices?

2. Have you tried version 1.01.00?

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

1. We are running 1.00.07 and have testet 1.00.06 at customers with same result. .

2. No, can you give my link to where to download 1.01.00 firmware.

jmolinas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rene,

you can download the latest firmware from

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10028/index.html

Below the picture you can see the option of "Download Software" and with your CCO account you can access to software download area.

The basic CCO account allow you to retrieve all firmwares from the "Linksys Business" branch.

Cheers,

Julio

Thanks. I have downloaded the new firmware and the new SPC tool. Can you give my a hint where I can find manual for the SPC tool and maybe a complete overview for settings i the WRP400 that can be changed with the SPC tool.

René

Bredbånd Nord I/S

jmolinas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rene,

You can find the SPC tool on the same web I posted in the second link, below the firmware.

Cheers,

Julio

Hi René,

The Product Engineer and the Development Team have reviewed the syslog messages that you supplied and have not discovered any clues.

They have requested the following:

1. Please attempt to replicate the issue in 1.01.00 firmware
  2. Provide detailed steps on how to replicate in 1.01.00
  3. Provide the backup file of the 1.01.00 router configuration:
              Administration tab > Config Management tab > Backup > [save cfg file and send to me at paborn at Cisco]
  4. Provide the backup file of the 1.01.00 voice configuration:
              Voice tab > Admin Login > Browser's File > Save As WRP400.html [send file to me]

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

We are right now testing the firmware 1.01 at the customers and we will get back to you about the result. But I have a question. Why not use the firmware 2.00.05, when I read the release notes this firmware have a even newer voice module firmware and some other good functionality.

Is there any reason to use work hours to test 1.01 when the 2.00.05 firmware seems to include all the new stuff.

Regards

René

Hi René,

Engineering request that you only test with 1.01.00 at this time because it has the same code base as 1.00.06

They suggest that you do not use 2.00.05 at this time because it is developed for 3G network support which uses a different code base to the 1.xx.xx train.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

We have testet the 1.01.00 firmware at some costumeres without luck. The router still stops responding and needs a restart several times a day.

One of my colleges have found some settings that seems to help solve the problem.

Here is the step we at the time is testing.

Customer vista PC.

---------------------

1) netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "(interfacename)" mtu=1300 store=persistent

2) netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disablenet

3) Disable ipv6 on the NIC.

WRP400 router

----------------------

1) Disable SPI firewall

Not all our costumers who have problems have Windows Vista but it is only the Windows Vista customers where we have been able to sovle the problem at some customers.

Does this give you any clues on the problem with the WRP400 router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: