LAP1131AG in endless Join loop (WCS 5.2.130.0, WLC 5.2.178.0)

Answered Question

I have som Aironet LAP1131AG accesspoints, that after a upgrade to WCS 5.2 (including upgrade of WLC) will not rejoin the controller.

I have attached a dump of the console. The accesspoints will upgrade the image, if they are hardreset (by holding down reset for some seconds while rebooting), but they will end up i an endless quest to join (last good message is CAPWAP changed state to CFG)...

We have 100+ accesspoints that are unaffected by the upgrade, but 2 accesspoints are giving me the same problem.

Any ideas as what to try ?

Attachment: 
Correct Answer by Robert.N.Barrett_2 about 8 years 4 weeks ago

I would say that it's time to open up a TAC.

Correct Answer by Robert.N.Barrett_2 about 8 years 4 weeks ago

- I would recommend that you use a browser to connect to your AP. The first page after logon has a nice summary of the status of all interfaces.

- For the WCS error: are you using the same SNMP strings and versions on WCS and on the AP? They must match (but I have never tried to add an autonomous AP to WCS).

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Mon, 04/20/2009 - 15:03
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Can the LWAP AP ping the management IP Address of the WLC? If yes, please enter the command in enable mode on the AP: lwapp ap controller ip address

Hope this helps.

Ths accesspoint can ping the management IP (The one defined i CISCO-LWAP/CAPWAP-CONTROLLER in DNS), but it is unable to ping the ap-management interface. However this is the same for all my APs also the ones that are OK.

When (from an enabled prompt) trying the command lwapp ap controller ip addresse I get:

ERROR!!! Command is disabled.

I noticed that the difference from an OK AP and a failing AP is the following loglines just after CAPWAP change to CFG:

*Apr 22 06:57:58.188: %CAPWAP-5-CHANGED: CAPWAP changed state to CFG

RSSI IDB null

RSSI IDB null

*Apr 22 06:58:16.188: %CAPWAP-3 ERRORLOG: Retransmission count for packet exceeded max(UNKNOWN_MESSAGE_TYPE (5)., 1)

After that the failing AP goes to DISCOVER mode and the OK AP (which does not have the errorlines) says CAPWAP changed state to UP.

That that give anyone a clue as to where to search?

Scott Fella Wed, 04/22/2009 - 03:54
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Since you got the ERROR!!! Command is disabled, that AP actually had joined the wlc initially. I would think that maybe the 2 ap's didn't fully upgrade or the upgrade got corrupted. You might just have to revert thoses 2 back to IOS and then back to LWAPP.

I tend to agree, that the AP does join, but something fails in the CFG state, and therefore the AP automatically removes itself or is removed from the WLC.

I have attached a console-log from one of the accesspoints where it is forced to boot from the recovery image.

It then joins the WLC (and it shows in the WLC interface as upgrading image), upgrades the image, but when booting the new image it again fails in CFG state.

I'm really have no clue as to what is going on...

Attachment: 
Scott Fella Wed, 04/22/2009 - 15:06
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

I only see that when the upgrade got corrupted on the LAP. You will need to convert it to IOS and then back to LWAPP. What you can try is to load the rcv image back on. If you console into the lap and hold the reset button for about 20 seconds, it should show you the file name the LAP is trying to find via tftp. You can look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp160918

Leo Laohoo Wed, 04/22/2009 - 15:03
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hi Michael,

You will never be able to ping the AP-Manager IP Address.

Can you please post the "dir" output?

How many AP's can your WLC control and how many AP's are there now in?

Hi

We have 2 WS-SVC-WISM-1-K9 modules. Each able to handle 300 AP's. At the moment only one of the modules are in real production. Each module contains two WLC's (WISM controllers) each capable of 150 APs. At the moment we have 32 AP on WISM-1A and 75 AP on WISM-1B. All WiSM controllers are managed from a WCS with 500 APs licensed at the moment.

Output from dir:

AP001d.e556.bf84#dir

Directory of flash:/

3 -rwx 88598 Apr 22 2009 15:00:14 +00:00 event.log

4 drwx 128 Jan 1 1970 00:02:01 +00:00 c1130-rcvk9w8-mx

9 drwx 256 Apr 22 2009 12:15:03 +00:00 c1130-k9w8-mx.124-18a.JA1

7 -rwx 5144 Apr 22 2009 15:18:20 +00:00 private-multiple-fs

8 -rwx 232 Apr 22 2009 15:18:20 +00:00 env_vars

15998976 bytes total (9431040 bytes free)

In the last days I have tried deleting env_vars, private-multiple-fs and event.log. It seemed to remove the hostname previously configured on the AP, but didn't solve the problem...

Leo Laohoo Thu, 04/23/2009 - 15:23
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the output.

I propose for you to delete the LWAP image (delete /f /r flash:c1130-k9w8-mx.124-18a.JA1), reboot the AP, and during the search for a WLC controller, delete the LWAP configuration (clear lwapp private), reboot the AP again and when the AP's searching for the WLC, force it to the WLC of your choice "lwapp ap controller ip address ".

Hope this will work for you.

Hi,

I have now tried to hardreset the AP, and load an autonomious (non LWAP image).

I was able to load the image, and can now talk (via telnet and console) to the AP.

What I notice is that the AP seem to not have any Dot11Radio interfaces. show interfaces does not mention any interfaces but BVI1 and FastEthernet0.

When tryint to add the autonomious AP using the WCS, I get:

Autonomous AP Failed to add device to WCS Reason: SNMP operation to Device failed: Too few VarBinds in response

Could my problem be that I'm experiencing 2 APs (of 100+ deployed) that have somehow lost their dot11 radios ?

Regards and thanks for the help so far

-Michael

Correct Answer
Robert.N.Barrett_2 Mon, 04/27/2009 - 03:26
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

- I would recommend that you use a browser to connect to your AP. The first page after logon has a nice summary of the status of all interfaces.

- For the WCS error: are you using the same SNMP strings and versions on WCS and on the AP? They must match (but I have never tried to add an autonomous AP to WCS).

Correct Answer
Robert.N.Barrett_2 Mon, 04/27/2009 - 18:11
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

I would say that it's time to open up a TAC.

kirtweaver Mon, 04/27/2009 - 09:40
User Badges:

Are the two that will not join on a different network segment. If so check to see if UDP ports 5246 &5247 are allowed. It use to be lwap udp 12222 12223.

Leo Laohoo Mon, 04/27/2009 - 14:37
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hi Michael,

Did you try to force the AP to the WLC of your choice "lwapp ap controller ip address "?

Actions

This Discussion