cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 PoE issue

bmarms
Level 1
Level 1

i am attempting to connect a number of Panasonic PoE 802.3af IP cameras to my Cat3550-24PWR and am getting the following error:

Apr 20 20:03:22: %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Fa0/16: Power given, but link is not up

i have ap's and avaya 802.3af ip phones connected to this switch and am having no issues with those devices. any suggestions? thanks.

Brandon Arms

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Brandon,

PTZ (Pan-Tilt-Zoom) cameras sometimes require more than just 15.4 watts. What's the power requirement of your PTZ camera?

the product manual indicates 9.2W w/o a heater and 12W with a heater. i've connected the cameras to a 3750-48ps that i had in my spare inventory and they seem to be working on that switch. the issue now is, i don't have 3750's to replace all of the 3550's that i'm using to power these cameras.

mhurley131
Level 4
Level 4

Correct me if I'm wrong...but isnt the 3550-24PWR a Cisco pre-standard PoE switch. If thats the case, you will run into issues trying to power 802.1af devices.

starting with IOS 12.1(19)EA1c you have the ability to power 802.3af devices.

Brandon

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is CDP enabled on the port of the PTZ?

What is the result when you do "sh power inline "?

it's a non-cisco camera, so CDP isn't going to help me.

i figured out the issue. the vendor installing the cameras pinched and damaged the cable when they installed the housing of the camera. i had to re-crimp a new RJ 45 on the cable and all was good. thanks for your responses.

Brandon

Azeem Farrukh
Level 1
Level 1

i was having this same problem installing IP Phones with catalyst 3550 .

for me (power inline delay shutdown 20 initial 30) on interface X/X level worked perfect   

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card