cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Telco based voicemail and MWI

PaulStew67
Level 1
Level 1

If a customer is using telco-based voicemail can I get the MWI to light up on a 7960?  I've searched the web and heard of MWI working for Vonage but not telco-based voicemail on POTS.  Thanks

Paul

9 Replies 9

Maulik Shah
Level 5
Level 5

I assume you mean the voicemail is over an analog line connected to the FXO on the UC520? How does the telco let the user know there is voicemail - via a stutter dial tone? If so there would be no way to convert this into turning on a message waiting indicator light on the IP phone - if the telco was using SIP, then this is doable. Is there a reason for not using the local voicemail on the UC520 instead of the telco service?

I'm looking to do the same thing but with a SIP-based voicemail.  I need the MWI indicator to show up when a message is left in the general voicemail box of the SIP providers voicemail.  If all the trunks are used, the call will go to the SIP providers voicemail thereby allowing the call to be at least answered by voicemail.  I want the user to see that they have a message waiting and to pick it up on the SIP providers voicemail (and not on the UC540).

How can this be done?

You should be able to have that working, ask your ITSP which MWI method they support.

I'm looking for the specific CLI to accomplish this though.  So if anyone has actually done it and has the CLI then that would be of great help.  I forgot to mention I'm looking for the MWI to show up on a separate button as well.

For the specific CLI, you need to know the MWI method first, as mentioned above.

How many MWI methods are there?  Please list.  I would take any known, working example if that could be provided.

I'm still looking for the full CLI example that shows the MWI indicator of a SIP-provider on the button of a Cisco phone when using a UC540.  An example that someone actually uses and it works.  Of course, I want to keep the MWI on the UC as well.

The example is the command I gave you above, with customizations depending on the specific situation, that you have not provided.

Note: you can only configure only one MWI server per system, and not more.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: