Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest Network design (GRE?)

siskoboy2007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a design question for my new inter-campus site. We recently build out a new site and made it a point to point connection back to my core network. My issues is rolling out my current Guest network to it. We currently have the Guest network (172.20.99.0/24) off the ASA router and we trunk it to all of our distribution switch (vlan 99). With my new site being layer 3 how do I offer guest network to that site? Do I create a GRE tunnel? Any thoughts?

13 Replies 13

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use GRE as one solution as long as you have devices at either end that support GRE tunneling. Other alternatives are using acl's to filter the traffic or utilising something like vrf-lite. Cisco have got a design doc for this type of requirement ie. path isolation -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Network_Virtualization/PathIsol.html#wp80366

Jon

Thanks for the information Jon. Looks like the Catalyst 3750 which I have at my new site does not support GRE. I'll look into using VRF-lite. I'll let you know if I have any questions.

The Cisco Wireless WLC 4400 Series offer a wireless guest access service which includes a username and password lobby ambassador function. The WLC can be used for Wired guest access but would need to be located locally on the same broadcast network.

To add to the above it uses an EoIP tunnel rather than GRE and you would need a remote WLC in your internet DMZ

We do have a WLC 4400, but for the guest access to work properly, doesn't it have to be in the DMZ?

This link describes what you need if you go for the WLC option

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808ed026.shtml

Basically 1 WLC at your remote site on the same broadcast domain and 1 in your internet gateway DMZ.

An EoIP tunnel which is similar to GRE is formed between the WLC's which wired guest user traffic is tunneled in.

The lobby ambassador feature is fairly simple to implement.

Thanks Mark. However I have no budget for a new WLC yet so I'm back to finding a simple solution. Since GRE tunnels are not supported on the 3750s, does any know how I can accomplish this with either VRF Lite End to End or L2TPv3?

Mark,

I was thinking, I do have WLC at my remote site and another one back at HQ. The WLC at HQ does have a trunk to the Guest network (off the firewall) which is VLAN 99. Can I use EoIP to trunk all wired and wireless network (vlan 99) back to my HQ WLC which in turn will send it to my Guest network on the firewall?

Can you send a diagram of your network

Here's the diagram Mark. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm just wonder if I use the WLC, how do I tell the switches at my remote site (1450) that VLAN 99 needs to go thru the WLC. Do I put a static route point to the WLC?

So i think if you have configured a DHCP scope on you HQ WLC and there is an EoIP tunnel between the remote and HQ WLC via your production network, guest access will work.

The Lobby Ambassador feature will be administered on the HQ WLC and guest will be allowed on the guest network once they have web authenticated.

Thanks for the suggestion Mark. Can I have the WLAN and wired guest use the same interface (VLAN 99) on the WLC? Right now I have both of them using VLAN 99 at my HQ, but only the WLAN is using the VLAN 99 on the WLC.

spkraja3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts.

This is Raja. Im a baby to this field and planning to start a business which is gonna support a application through online, I want to do a network set up for the communication.Its gonna be a 10 node small business.where i want to manage the LAN connection for internet and also the tunneling. can some one suggest me which series of switch , router and firewall will work out my set up. waiting for you experts.. thanks in advance..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card