cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC - 'Active Rogue Clients' and 'Adhoc Rogues'

david.kelsen
Level 1
Level 1

Under the 'Rogue Summary' on our WLCs we sometimes see some 'Active Rogue Clients' and 'Adhoc Rogues'.

I'm just wondering if this is 'FYI Only', or am I meant to do something with this information?

I've tried MAC Filtering and/or adding the offending MAC address to the 'Disabled Clients' list, but it doesn't seem to reduce/stop these 'Active Rogue Clients' or 'Adhoc Rogues'.

Any help/suggestions/clarifications welcome...

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Now this is a thorny issue.

AdHoc Rogues are hosts (like laptops, PDA's, printers) with their wireless turned on and attempting to connect to each other (without the use of an AP).

This is a thorny issue because it's hard to regulate users using a "free" spectrum.

In my network, I'd "contain" Rogues when I have verified that they are found WITHIN our building or premises. This is also the main reason why I'd recommend to disable auto-containment of Rogues (default) as you can detect Rogues from your WLC's even if the users are found OUTSIDE your building/premises.

If you plan to contain Rogues, make sure you have an approved written policy regarding the Rogues otherwise you might get yourself into trouble.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card