cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sup6E: Mixed use of 10GE and 1GE modules possible?

Hi all,

I want to use a mix of 10GE and 1GE Uplinks in a 4507R-E chassis with redundant Sup6E.

Each Sup should use one 10GE X2 and 2 1GE SFPs.

In cco this feature is announced for Q2/2008 (see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/ps9294/product_data_sheet0900aecd806df543_ps4324_Products_Data_Sheet.html, table 4).

Because I did not find any information about the implementation of this feature, does anybody know if it's already implemented?

If yes, in which IOS Release?

If not, is it possible to use the first sup with 2 10GEs and the second sup with 4 1GEs?

Many thanks in advance,

Thorsten Steffen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Thorsten,

yes if the ASIC is only one there is only one port group this makes sense.

you can only think of using 2 10GE on master supervisor and 4 GE links on standby supervisor.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Thorsten,

I've found the following in config guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/46sg/configuration/guide/sw_int.html#wp1100392

key commands are:

show hw-module module port-group

hw-module module port-group

select gigabitethernet

it should be since 12.2(40)SE according to this document.

You can do what you want if the ports in sup 6-E are in two different groups, this can be verified with the above sh command, because the settings are made for a whole port group.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

on one Sup6E there is only one port group available so that you cannot separate 1GE and 10GE ports.

Following your link I found the following statements:

===

In a Supervisor Engine 6-E system, the ports are connected to the switching engine through a stub ASIC. This stub ASIC imposes some limitations on the ports: Gig and 10 Gig ports cannot be mixed on a single stub ASIC; they must either be all 10 Gig (X2), or all Gig (TwinGig Converter and SFP). The faceplates of X2 modules show this stub port grouping, either with actual physical grouping with a box drawn around a grouping.

With Cisco IOS Release 12.2(40)SG, you can deploy (1) all 4 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports, (2) 2 blocking ports on an active supervisor engine and 2 blocking ports on the standby supervisor engine, or (3) all 8 Gigabit Ethernet SFP ports, 4 on the active supervisor and 4 on the standby supervisor engine. This capability is supported on all Catalyst 4500 and 4500E series chassis.

===

So I'm not sure if you can mix 1GEs and 10GEs on two redundant Sup6Es.

Regards,

Thorsten

Hello Thorsten,

yes if the ASIC is only one there is only one port group this makes sense.

you can only think of using 2 10GE on master supervisor and 4 GE links on standby supervisor.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi to all,

I had the same problem...onyl in a setup without SUP-Rednundancy...

I've tried in labo to configure in a single SUP-6E port 5/1 as 10Giga in port-group1) and the other port (10Giga 5/2) as gigabit 5/5-6 in port-group 2 and all seems to work fine...

In fact on the Datasheet it says that in a non redundant-mode 1x 10Giga + 2xGiga are supported....is not clear if this is yet supported with redundant-mode

I use IOS 12.2(52)SG

switchA#sh hw-module module 5 port-group

Module Port-group Active Inactive

-------------------------------------------------------------

5 1 Te5/1 Gi5/3-4

5 2 Gi5/5-6 Te5/2

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card