H.323 vs. MGCP

Unanswered Question
Apr 21st, 2009
User Badges:

Which is the best way to go? I am trying to find out more information. We are presently on MGCP. I am looking for the Pros and Cons for each.

Any feedback will be helpful.

Thanks,

Donna

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
donnaavila Tue, 04/21/2009 - 05:07
User Badges:

As a very new person to the Cisco VOIP world, I am looking to educate myself. It's not so much of what I need, but what people's experiences are so I can determine if there is more that I can do to achieve more and give my end users a better solution to their needs.

Does this make sense to you?

Therefore, I am looking for real experiences and the pros and cons of H.323 vs. MGCP.

Thank you,

Donna

Jaime Valencia Tue, 04/21/2009 - 05:14
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

it makes sense, but the decision is still based on needs, so i strongly recommend you to read the link to understand what each one is capable of.

IE i need an application to be triggered based on ANI, you need H.323

i want to manage (almost) all via CUCM, then MGCP

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

sysjes Tue, 04/21/2009 - 14:29
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Donna as java said, the need will dictate the solution. With MGCP, your dialplan is on the Call Manager. I prefer to build MGCP gateways, however certain features are not always available and h323 becomes a requirement. With H323, your reliance will be on the gateway. Your dialplan will and your codec definition reside on your gateway. If you have multiple h323 gateways, dialplan management can be troublesome. As an example, caller-id on an fxo line would require H323.

Actions

This Discussion