cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

H.323 vs. MGCP

donnaavila
Level 1
Level 1

Which is the best way to go? I am trying to find out more information. We are presently on MGCP. I am looking for the Pros and Cons for each.

Any feedback will be helpful.

Thanks,

Donna

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

answer is: it depends on what you need and what you want

there is already a link that discusses this

MGCP and H.323 Voice Gateway Protocol Comparison

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk1077/technologies_tech_note09186a00806fedbe.shtml

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

As a very new person to the Cisco VOIP world, I am looking to educate myself. It's not so much of what I need, but what people's experiences are so I can determine if there is more that I can do to achieve more and give my end users a better solution to their needs.

Does this make sense to you?

Therefore, I am looking for real experiences and the pros and cons of H.323 vs. MGCP.

Thank you,

Donna

it makes sense, but the decision is still based on needs, so i strongly recommend you to read the link to understand what each one is capable of.

IE i need an application to be triggered based on ANI, you need H.323

i want to manage (almost) all via CUCM, then MGCP

HTH

java

HTH

java

Donna as java said, the need will dictate the solution. With MGCP, your dialplan is on the Call Manager. I prefer to build MGCP gateways, however certain features are not always available and h323 becomes a requirement. With H323, your reliance will be on the gateway. Your dialplan will and your codec definition reside on your gateway. If you have multiple h323 gateways, dialplan management can be troublesome. As an example, caller-id on an fxo line would require H323.

Thank you sysjes. Every bit of info helps!

If you are getting started I would suggest reading the CVOICE book (or other CCVP material).

Cisco Voice over IP (CVOICE) (Authorized Self-Study Guide), 3rd Edition: http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587055546

Thank you. I will look into that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: