cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.2.1 Maintenance

dvanzee
Level 2
Level 2

I am looking to gain some insight into actively managing an Exchange Store (VM Only). We currently have Unity Voicemail only with Exchange on box system which has not been managed for a long time. I am wondering what a standard mailbox size should be? Also, can anyone comment on using the "Cisco Unity Message Store Manager" for some of these maintenance tasks? Any other tasks I should be running on a regular basis? The only thing we currently do is run daily full backups. Any info would be great.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Typically, I would treat this as you would any backup type of task. I would do once a week depending what you are needing to do for maintenance. I would also schedule it overnight and/or on weekends when the servers is at a low level of activity. If your server is not utilized that much, then obviously schedule it for once a month if needed. Use your discretion.

Tray

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Well doing full backups is always a good thing so that should truncate any transaction logs keeping them from ever growing out of control and filling the hard drive(s) up. You can use Message Store Manager to make sure all deleted items are truly deleted and not being stored on the server although the default policies on Exchange "should" do that for you already. The help file for that tools should answer the questions you might have on how to set it up and schedule it to run. You can get the help file and training videos here.

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_MSM.htm

I can't think of anything else beyond the MSM and what you are currently doing that would keep the on box Exchange healthy and happy.

Tray

Hello Tray,

Thank you for quick response. My main concern with the MSM is because I have not run it before when I tried to run it, it ran for 3 days without finishing... which in turn locked the unity server up. Requiring a reboot. How often should this be run? Daily?

Typically, I would treat this as you would any backup type of task. I would do once a week depending what you are needing to do for maintenance. I would also schedule it overnight and/or on weekends when the servers is at a low level of activity. If your server is not utilized that much, then obviously schedule it for once a month if needed. Use your discretion.

Tray

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

You may also want to take a look at the Maintenance Checklists as well as the Maintain and operate Guide found here:

Maintain and Operate Guides

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_maintenance_guides_list.html