Views
Helpful
Replies

Switches Connectivity Via Transport MUX

cisco.net
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is there any provision/command in cisco switches (we are using 4507 L3 switches)... where in case of transport failure between two Muxs (switches are not directly connected to each other, they are connected via transmission MUXs at both end), The connected GIG port on both cisco switches will go down.

Note :- Asking this question as Both the switches are not directly connected , MUX involved in between connectivity... and in our case ports are not going down even there is failure of connectivity between MUXs.

I am looking for a solution, where in case of transport connectivity failure between MUXs, anyhow Switches at both end detect the outage and keep their Gig port auto Shut. So that traffic on that link will shifted to alternate path within seconds

Scenerio attached here for easy understanding.

Regards

11 Replies 11

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

A few questions.

Who owns the muxes and their respective configurations?

What is the transport between the two Muxes? i.e. Gig/E ?

Hii,

MUXes & their configs are owned & maintained by Services Provider.

Fiber ring between MUXes. In my above question i am querring about Gig port connectivity.

If you route between the two endpoints, a link failure would be recognized by your gig port. Unless there is some way for the provider to drop the link between your switch and the mux based on a failure of the link between the mux.

Hi,

This one is dead easy - we had the same issue using LES / EES circuits over here.

Create a single-member port-channel with LACP (The Following commands assume the link is a trunk):

interface port-channel 1

switch trunk enc dot

switchport mode trunk

interface GigabitEthernet1/3

descr Po1: MUX Link

switch trunk enc dot

switch mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode active

Do this on both ends of the MUX link - the LACP will bring PO1 down if there is any loss of connectivity.

Hope this helps!

Please rate any useful posts.

Nick

Thanks Nick,

please confirm what this command will do "switch trunk enc dot".

Regards

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

When the port is in trunking mode, the encapsulation used will be 802.1q - instead of ISL

On some devices / IOSs this command isn't needed/accepted because they always use dot1q. If your device doesn't accept the command - then it already uses dot1q.

Nick

Hii Nick,

I guess, we already used this scenerio. But unfortunerly not helping out for our expectation.

Regards

Hi,

In what way is it not working?

Have you got the port-channel up?

What happens to the port-channel when the MUX goes off?

Nick

Port Channel and respective Gig port always showing UP even in case of failure of transport.

Hi,

It sounds like you've not got LACP turned on unconditionally.

You need to have:

channel-group 1 mode ACTIVE

if you have anything else, like auto, on or passive this will not work.

The Gig interface will always show as up - only the port channel will go down.

Nick

Hii Nick,

I can understand this. But this LACP sceneio also not helping

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: