cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you "convert" a CM6.1 Subscriber to a Publisher ?

ajenks
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 servers in a single CM cluster. The second Subscriber is on a different site. In event of a DR scenario, and the primary site being lost(destroyed), I am left with a single Subscriber to continue call processing.

However, in this scenario, I would likely need to make some configuration changes (such as configuring new users, creating translation patterns - maybe changing pickup groups / hunt lists) and I believe this wont be possible with only a Subscriber active.

Is there a way that a Subscriber could be converted into a Publisher to facilitate these changes ? In this event, the original Publisher would be destroyed and would eventually be re-installed on new hardware (as a subscriber if necessary). So this isn't a role change I would look to flick back and forth - it would be a permanent change.

I would like to have this option documented - rather than rely solely on getting new hardware a rebuilding the Publisher from scratch before admin changes could be made, should this situation arise.

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

there is no process, once you install a server as PUB/SUB it stays that way until you rebuild it.

to "convert" SUB into PUB it means reinstall CUCM, choose it's going to be the 1st node and then do a DRS restore from old PUB

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

Thanks. I would need to keep the sub in service, so I am thinking I would now build a new pub on new hardware.

If I was running the remaining sub - and got replacement hardware to build a replacement publisher on, could this be added to the cluster (and the live config on the sub being synced to the pub) - or would the pub need to be created from a DRS restore only ?

Could this be a DRS backup taken from the remaining sub, or would it need to have been from the original pub ?

DRS from PUB is necessary, it's not as easy as installing the new server as PUB and that it gets the info from other servers

Replacing a Single Server or Cluster for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.0(1)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/7_0_1/cluster/clstr701.html

HTH

java

HTH

java