cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WPA/AES and WPA2/AES

rsumpter
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any difference between WPA/AES and WPA2/AES. I realize that WPA was pre-standard but I'm wondering if there are any "technical" differences.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gamccall
Level 4
Level 4

Security is the same. There are differences under the hood with regard to roaming and caching, header labels, and a few other things. WPA/AES is not tested during the WiFi Alliance certification process so there's potential for compatibility issues.

If your clients can't support WPA2 then they probably can't support WPA/AES either, so my thinking is go with the certified combinations and do WPA2/AES and WPA/TKIP. (There's no reason in the world to enable WPA2/TKIP since all WPA2 clients must support AES.)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

gamccall
Level 4
Level 4

Security is the same. There are differences under the hood with regard to roaming and caching, header labels, and a few other things. WPA/AES is not tested during the WiFi Alliance certification process so there's potential for compatibility issues.

If your clients can't support WPA2 then they probably can't support WPA/AES either, so my thinking is go with the certified combinations and do WPA2/AES and WPA/TKIP. (There's no reason in the world to enable WPA2/TKIP since all WPA2 clients must support AES.)

Thx for the feedback.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card