RSpan Between to Catalyst Switches w/IOS

Unanswered Question
Apr 21st, 2009

I am having a little issue with RSpan, well actually I am having a little issue with me. Specifically my lack of understanding. I have read several How to's and am pretty sure I am more confused than when I started.

Here is what I am trying to do.

I want the source to be all traffic on VLAN 65 on Switch A and Switch B. I want the destination to be port g2/21 on Switch B.

Currently I have the following config on Switch B and it works fine on Switch B.

monitor session 1 source vlan 65

monitor session 1 destination interface Gi2/21

I have remvoed all of the commands from Switch A. All the monitoring ones at least.

I am not sure what I need to do to Switch A and what else, if nessesary, to switch B.

Hope that makes sense to someone. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeremy

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
aajvandewiel Wed, 04/22/2009 - 06:56

If switch A is connected via a trunk to switch B, you can only use RSPAN on switch B to get the traffic to switch A. However you cannot mix SPAN and RSPAN to a single destination port! You will need a separate interface for this.

Your monitor session on switch B is actually a (local) SPAN session.

Look for RPSAN on cco, i.e.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.1_19_ea1/configuration/guide/swspan.html

j98me2 Wed, 04/22/2009 - 07:46

Just so I am clear, if I was to use another switch say switch c and RSPAN both A and B to it, that shoud work?

aajvandewiel Wed, 04/29/2009 - 04:22

That is the idea indeed.

I am trying to do the same on 3750, but one of the RSPAN sessions only shows the TX and not the RX though I have configured both.

Actions

This Discussion