Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6006 Switch Fault - Require Experienced Engineer

edw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

One of our Cataylst switches went into a mode I can't find much info on. The STAUS LED on the Supervisor board (SUP1A) went RED. After a power down and power up nothing is coming out of the console port and it goes straight to RED. Power and Fans are fine - any ideas or help really appreciated!!

Thanks

Ed

7 Replies 7

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Maybe try hitting the little reset button on the supervisor for the console , sometimes you have to change this to get output out of the console , otherwise if you can't get any reading out of the console then it is probably DOA and you will have to get a replacement. Not really a way to even attempt to look at it if you have no console output. You can try a few things like pull all the boards out of the slots and just leave the sup in and see if it will boot , have seen this before where a faulty board in another slot will keep it fromn booting.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I tried the reset button (is there a special trick or just push with paper clip?) This didn't change anything. I have stripped and clean the unit top to bottom and reseated in different slots and order - still no joy.

Should the modules go green or do they wait for the Sup to power up ? The Sup isn't even going orange to say its reading rom or doing diag - literily goes to RED and stays there.

There are two RJ45 sockets on the board - are they of any use ?

Whats the warrenty cover of these - would Cisco take it back and repair it for a charge?

Thanks

Ed

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ed,

Can you console into the Sup card and watch the output when you do a restart. I'm suspecting (wish I'm wrong) that you may either have a hardware failure or your Sup is booting into ROMmon.

Hi,

No console on the normal console port - nothing showing. I thnk its hardware but would have through for such an expensive system there would be a few more pointers to show.

Whats ROMmon ?? How would I know if its doing that ?

Thanks

Ed

Hi, Ed:

From what Im reading on this thread, it sounds as though your SUP model is experiencing a major hardware failure.

I'm not sure you have any recourse but to call Cisco and open a TAC case and hope its still under warranty...

ROMMON is a special boot mode that a switch boots into when it cannot find a usable IOS (operating system). Its almost like your PC booting into Safe Mode.

I dont think that its as simple as that. The SUP wouldnt be acting like this if there was a promleb only with the IOS.

You would know youre in ROMMON mode by consoling into the SUP module and seeing a prompt that looks like this:

rommon>

HTH

Victor

Hi,

Whats the length of warrenty on hardware from Cisco ?

Also does anyone know if a WS-X6K-S2-MSFC2 or a WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 would fit in a 6006 chassis ?

Thanks

Ed

Hi,

Does anyone know if a WS-X6K-S2-MSFC2 or a WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 would fit in a 6006 chassis ?

Thanks

Ed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: