cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

POTS Dial Peer Question

efrazee
Level 1
Level 1

I have H.323 gateway and CUCM6.1 I have voice ports on gateway connected to POTS Lines for outbound calling. I have thee pots dial peers for outbound PSTN calls.

911 for emergency

9911 for emergency

9[2-9][2-9]..... for local calling

when I dial 9911 there is a long paude almost 5 seconds before the call connects. Is there a way to make 9911 calls match this dial peer instead of timming out and then matching it?

The actual dial peers are below

Thank you

dial-peer voice 999024 pots

destination-pattern 911

port 0/1/0

forward-digits 3

!

dial-peer voice 999025 pots

destination-pattern 9911

port 0/1/0

forward-digits 3

dial-peer voice 1 pots

destination-pattern 9[2-9]......

port 0/1/0

forward-digits 7

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Guys,

Well, you learn something new every day! +5 points for each of you. Nick, Gonz and Sushil, thanks for weighing in on this and for your continued participation here.

Great work!

Now I'm curious to see what works best for Eric.

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Eric,

The 5 second pause is surely the inter-digit timeout. In your example you have;

9[2-9][2-9]..... for local calling

but in your actual dial-peer you have;

destination-pattern 9[2-9]......

I would try setting the actual dial-peer like the example.

destination-pattern 9[2-9][2-9]......

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Eric,

I agree with what Rob has stated.

Since your actual dial peer is 9[2-9]...... when you dial 9911, there are two dial peers whcih are matching. Because of this dial peer you are observing that pause which I also feel is inter-digit timeout

-> Sushil

Actually, the way that dial peers are matched on gateways don't work quite this way. This is the operation on CCM/CUCM, but not gateways.

Gateways by default will do 'urgent priority' when you dial. If you have a dial peer that matches a pattern it will be routed immediately.

Example:

dial-peer voice 1 pots

destination-pattern ...

dial-peer voice 2 pots

destination-pattern ....

If you were to dial digit by digit on a phone connected to this gateway, you will hit dial peer 1 every single time.

I would need to test this, but when you receive the digits as a block in a H323 setup, you may be able to hit the second dial peer here. But unless you have overlap receiving on, you're not going to use the interdigit timeout.

In order to troubleshoot this I would turn on these three debugs:

debug voip ccapi inout (general call processing)

debug h225 asn1 (when the setup comes in)

debug vpm signal (check signaling on the voice-port)

You probably want this command:

service timestamps debug datetime msec local

My guess is that either 1) Your delay is in the time sending the H323 setup to the gateway via a route pattern in CUCM 2) Slow connection via the FXO port

Best way is to enable the debugs and look a the time stamps. If you see the setup come in 5 seconds before the vpm debugs, then it could be interdigit / overlap receiving.

Otherwise you're looking at something else.

-nick

Hi Nick,

But if you see the dial peer -

9[2-9]...... is dial peer number 1

while

9911 is dial peer number 999025

So whenever you dial 9911, it will always hit dialpeer 1, since preference for both the dial peers are same "0"

Dial peer 1 is expecitng more number, hence interdigit timeout.

-> Sushil

Use $ as termination symbol

He can change it to be 9911$

I haven't seen a scenario where adding the $ helps anything, but I've never tried.

If it was an interdigit timeout issue you can enter # after the number because it's the default terminator.

-nick

Hi Sushil,

Preference only matters for equal-length destination patterns.

You can try it in the lab if you like.

With your theory, it would always hit the first dial peer. By default, if multiple dial peers match, it would round robin them. But again, this is only for same-length destination patterns or if both dial peers have a T in the string.

-nick

Nick, I goofed it up. You are correct.

Thanks Nick

-> Sushil

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Guys,

Well, you learn something new every day! +5 points for each of you. Nick, Gonz and Sushil, thanks for weighing in on this and for your continued participation here.

Great work!

Now I'm curious to see what works best for Eric.

Cheers!

Rob

After debugging and narrowing down the dial peer to 9.[2-9][2-9]..... and 9911 I found that the slowness was on the POTS line connecting to 911 dispatch thanks to all for the suggestions. I learned a lot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: