Question regarding account codes

Answered Question
Apr 21st, 2009
User Badges:

I'm working with a market research company who are implementing a new UC520 PBX.

They have an outbound call centre of 10 people, and need to be able to bill their customers for the calls.

My question is about account codes.

I need to able to have the call centre people enter an account code before they make a call, and then report on the cost of the calls.

Each account code would represent a campaign they are working on.

I had a look at DOC-1400 on this site, and the Acct/PIN section of that document looks like it may do what I need.

Question is:

- Can the account codes be used by more than 1 person, ie if all 10 people in the call centre are working on the same campaign, can they use the same account code and PIN?

- Will these account codes show up in the CDR's that are sent to the accounting software?

I've downloaded a trial of Call Accounting Mate software, and it looks like this will give them the reports they need, as long as the account codes are in the CDR.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of an easier way to achieve the same result, please let me know.

Thanks,

Marc

Correct Answer by Marcos Hernandez about 7 years 11 months ago

Marc,

In order to address your question here and demonstrate how to generate account codes using Radius, I have put together the following document showing how to configure UC500 with the WinRadius software:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-6428

I hope you find it helpful.

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Try this:

!
aaa new-model 
aaa accounting connection h323 start-stop group radius 
!
gw-accounting aaa  
no suppress
!
radius-server host x.x.x.x
radius-server vsa send accounting
radius-server key password
!

X.X.X.X is the IP of your RADIUS server.

Marcos

Hi Marc,

Notice that the info on:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-1400#Can_UC500CME_be_configure...

is for Forced Auth Codes (i.e. you have to enter the code or the call will not proceed). There is another type of code that is non-forced. A softkey is provisioned on the phone ("Acct") and you press it when making a call. The code will be inserted in Radius CDR's given that you have VSA enabled.

Both forced and non forced can be used by multiple people.

Please let us know if you have any other question about this implementation. It seems a little complicated, but it isn't really and we can help you get it up and running.

Thanks,

Marcos Hernandez
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Overall Rating: 5 (3 ratings)
Correct Answer
Marcos Hernandez Tue, 04/21/2009 - 19:35
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Hi Marc,

Notice that the info on:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-1400#Can_UC500CME_be_configure...

is for Forced Auth Codes (i.e. you have to enter the code or the call will not proceed). There is another type of code that is non-forced. A softkey is provisioned on the phone ("Acct") and you press it when making a call. The code will be inserted in Radius CDR's given that you have VSA enabled.

Both forced and non forced can be used by multiple people.

Please let us know if you have any other question about this implementation. It seems a little complicated, but it isn't really and we can help you get it up and running.

Thanks,

Marcos Hernandez
Cisco Systems, Inc.

marcmohring Tue, 04/21/2009 - 19:42
User Badges:

Thanks Marcos,

One more question, does it need to be Radius?

Currently, I'm using Syslog. The software supports FTP, if I need to.

Marc

marcmohring Thu, 04/23/2009 - 15:13
User Badges:

Oh joy!!

My first RADIUS server!

Any chance you could me point to some info on this site, or on Cisco.com what to do next?

I've downloaded a freeRadius server and installed it.

How do I connect my accounting software to the CDR info collected by the Radius Server?

The software (call accounting mate) I'm trialling only does Syslog or FTP.

It's probably real simple, but I've been going around in circles, and can't quite figure it out.

Thanks,

Marc

Correct Answer
Marcos Hernandez Thu, 04/23/2009 - 15:23
User Badges:

Try this:

!
aaa new-model 
aaa accounting connection h323 start-stop group radius 
!
gw-accounting aaa  
no suppress
!
radius-server host x.x.x.x
radius-server vsa send accounting
radius-server key password
!

X.X.X.X is the IP of your RADIUS server.

Marcos

Marcos Hernandez Thu, 04/23/2009 - 15:57
User Badges:

I just realized you were interested in integrating your Radius software with your accounting app, and not UC500 with your Radius server. I don't know how you connect these two applications. Typically, CDR's will be stored in plain text format and it is up to the accounting software to interpret them. You can move files from one to the other manuallyy once a month, for example.

Marcos

marcmohring Thu, 04/23/2009 - 19:42
User Badges:

Hi Marcos,

I think I find a way to get the CDR info to my software. Will let you know if that works.

Am now trying to set up RADIUS, and can't get the RADIUS info to go to the server.

I've attached a bit of my UC520's config, and a bit of debug output from the UC520.

Would you mind having a look and double check that my config is correct?

Thanks,

Marc

Attachment: 
Marcos Hernandez Thu, 04/23/2009 - 21:21
User Badges:

I see the start and stop records were sent correctly. Do you mean you did not see the account code? Which method are you using, forced or non-forced?

Marcos

Correct Answer
Marcos Hernandez Sat, 04/25/2009 - 12:59
User Badges:

Marc,

In order to address your question here and demonstrate how to generate account codes using Radius, I have put together the following document showing how to configure UC500 with the WinRadius software:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-6428

I hope you find it helpful.

Marcos Hernandez
Cisco Systems, Inc.

marcmohring Tue, 04/28/2009 - 16:09
User Badges:

Thanks Marcos,

Your help with this is greatly appreciated.

WinRadius is working and the call records scroll up on the screen, the account codes are in there too.

Unfortunately, they don't go into the Access database. The database tables that WinRadius creates don't include the account code.

Back to the drawing board for me.

Thanks for all your help.

Marc

Marcos Hernandez Wed, 04/29/2009 - 07:15
User Badges:

You are right. The database does not have an entry for this VSA. That's a shame...

I did a quick Google search and there seems to be a few free Radius accounting options for Windows, but as you can imagine we cannot test them all. If you get this to work on any of these, could you please share it with us? At this point, it is just a matter of getting the Radius server up and running. The Cisco side in terms of account codes and aaa configuration would be exactly the same.

You may also want to check Veramark. They are experts in CDR collection and interpretation and there is a promotion right now that may work out well for you:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/community/technology/collaboration/cisc...

The configuration is very simple and they have good documentation. We will be putting together a nice application note in the near future too.

Thanks,

Marcos

marcmohring Wed, 04/29/2009 - 20:57
User Badges:

Thanks Marcos,

I've tried a couple of things.

I even went as far as setting up a Linux server with FreeRADIUS and mySQL, but things got way too complicated.

I've sent an enquiry to Veramark to see if I can get the software in New Zealand.

I'm also trying to get a demo of ipCelerate's Smartfirm.

I'll keep you, and other users of this forum, informed with any progress.

Hopefully, my experiences will prevent someone else having to go around in the same circles.

Also, if anyone reading this has any suggestions, please let me know!

My customer has told us that they will buy the new UC520 we proposed, on the condition that we can sort out the billing software.

Thanks,

MArc

marcmohring Thu, 04/30/2009 - 21:24
User Badges:

Just a quick update for everyone outside of North America reading this thread.

Veramark is not currently selling its solutions in New Zealand, or anywhere outside of North America.

Their marketing person that answered my email says that they are considering it, but have no firm plans yet.

Marcos Hernandez Tue, 05/05/2009 - 10:34
User Badges:

Marking as answered since on the UC500 side, all configuration is correct.

Actions

This Discussion