Views
Helpful
Replies

Just bought a spare unit by mistakes Cisco P/N: AIR-AP1250=

chrisqcisco
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I bought the 1250 Spare unit by mistake from CDW. I thought I got the right P/N. I came without any radio/antenna.

Which P/N do I need to get this spare to work with 2 5Ghz radio and set 2 sets of Cisco 5Ghz antenna that support 802.11n?

Is it cheaper just to try to return and get a fully configured unit?

My building is in Malibu with lots of 2.4Ghz bases. I really want to use just 5Ghz 802.11n. Most of my laptops are MacBook Pro supporting 802.11n 2x3:2 MIMO. Currently, we have 4 Cisco bases with lots of interferences in 2.4Ghz.

Thanks.

Chris

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HI Chris,

Antenna Product Portfolio for Cisco Aironet 1250 Series Access Points

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/at_a_glance_c45-513837.pdf

Hope this helps.

Thanks but the Spare does not have any RP-TNC ports on top of it at all. I can't see how to connect any antennas it without new covers?

The part number for LWAPP: AIR-LAP1252G-A-K9

The part number for Autonomous: AIR-LAP1252G-A-K9

What you bought is just the shell and no radio's. If you want to just buy the 5ghz radio, the part number for that is: AIR-RM1252A-A-K9. Then just put that into you 1252 shell. Or you can just return it and get on with that radio.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6973/ps8382/product_data_sheet0900aecd806b7c6d.html

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

If I buy 2 5Ghz radio modules and installed both inside the shell, how do I connect the external antennas?

The shell does not have any RP-TNC connectors on the tops. Will the radio modules come with new covers?

You cannot install two of the same radio module; you can install up to one 2.4GHz radio and up to one 5GHz radio.

The radio module has the connectors.

I thought Cisco sells one with two 2.4Ghz radio? We can't install 2 5Ghz units? That would be a big bummer.

No you can't.... either one radio or one of each.

-Scott

You are right. The pre-installed unit comes with either 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios or just 2.4 Ghz radio.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6973/ps8382/product_data_sheet0900aecd806b7c6d.html

However, I have the base unit without any radio modules at all. What would prevent me to install 2 of the 5Ghz modules? The 2 dummy cover are exactly the same. The slot seems to be the same. Physically, 2 5Ghz radios should fit perfectly.

The question is if anyone has tried it using PoE injector? I have both the spare base unit and PoE injector.

I have read a few posts saying it won't work with two 5Ghz radios. If so, could anyone explain why? I would like to use two 5Ghz radios with 2 Patch antennas (the one designed for the 1250) and cover a long builder (lots of 2.4Ghz bases already installed).

Most likely because of the code on the wlc will not detect an ap with two of the same radios. Also this is a way you have to buy two ap's instead of just one:)

-Scott

Thanks. That makes sense.

I don't use WLC. The IOS support autonomous mode and I will only use it with IAS. It's a simple setup.

Is it because of the PoE injector may not have enough power for both? Has anyone tried using two 5Ghz radios with the 1250 spare base units?

LWAPP or IOS, it will not work... you might even damage the ap or radio. If you look at any autonomous code, you either have a dot11radio 0 (2.4ghz) or a dot11radio 1 (5GHz)

-Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: