cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Stub Router Advertisement issue?

loughlind
Level 1
Level 1

I was experimenting with OSPF Stub Router Advertisement in my lab. I have a 6500 running 12.2(33)SXI. I notice that I'm unable to configure both gracefull shutdown and a delay on startup while awaiting for BGP convergence.

If I have:

router ospf 100

max-metric router-lsa external-lsa

I would want to do the above before a reboot. I'd also like to have:

max-metric router-lsa external-lsa on-startup wait-for-bgp

However, if I configure the above, it overrides the the first command, for the graceful shutdown. The switch ceases to advertise max-metrics to neighbors.

Is this a bug? Anyone else have an issue with this or are able to get graceful shutdown and the startup delay to work?

Thanks,

-Danny

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Danny,

a non stop forwarding device makes use of hardware based CEF tables to be able to foward traffic during a supervisor switchover.

if the device would use max-metric LSA during switchover the graceful restart procedure would be defeated neighbors wouldn't still send traffic to the device.

So I think this is not a bug but simply the right behavior of an NSF capable device.

the max-metric lsa should be used if you power on the chassis not during switchover.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco