cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame relay and OSPF

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

How can I simulate an NBMA network on a frame switch, or is this impossible? I'm using gns3, and it seems that it wants to default to broadcast.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John,

Frame-Relay main interface and multi-point subinterfaces are NBMA in nature.

This was done in GNS:

interface Serial0/0

ip address 192.168.123.1 255.255.255.0

encapsulation frame-relay

serial restart-delay 0

router ospf 1

log-adjacency-changes

network 192.168.123.1 0.0.0.0 area 0

R0#sh ip os int

Serial0/0 is up, line protocol is up

Internet Address 192.168.123.1/24, Area 0

Process ID 1, Router ID 192.168.123.1, Network Type NON_BROADCAST, Cost: 64

__

Edison.

Thanks Edison! Now I have a CCIE question for you :) How much do you have to know about FR to pass the CCIE exam? I'm a long way from it (studying BSCI now), but through all of the technologies that we have to deal with, we may not ever see a FR situation much like the one I keep harping about. I want a good understanding, but after the test I may never see it or it may be phased out for MPLS, etc. Am I looking too deep into the understanding of FR, or should I continue trying to understand as much of it as possible? (That may be a stupid question.) :)

It seems like you've been pretty basic in your FR configs, and although I have a config that works, I tend to look at things a lot more complicated than they really should be.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

You should continue learning something you have a passion for even if not intended for the CCIE Lab or any particular exam.

You may encounter this type of questions or challenges on any job you may have and knowing the fundamentals will definitely help you in the future.

Word of advise, don't learn technologies based on a particular test. While I can't discuss what is or isn't in the CCIE Lab, you should learn and understand how Frame-Relay really works. As of this moment, is still listed as a topic for the exam and lab.

It seems like you've been pretty basic in your FR configs,

How complicated you want them to be?

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco