cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest Access - Users connection times out while in use

bryan.malmquist
Level 1
Level 1

Just installed a 4402 controller, 15 1242 ap's, configured WLAN and Guest WLAN, guests are prompted with the webauth login page while the account is active and they are working. Is there a timeout for inactivity?

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Change the session timeout in the WLC WLAN | Advanced tab. Set it higher like 14400 or 28800. See if that fixes your issue.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you. I actually disabled the "Enable Session Timeout" function on the Guest WLAN under the advanced tab. Fixed the problem. As long as their user ID is only good for 8 hours I don't see the need in having yet another timeout feature. Thoughts?

I don't see any issue with disabling this... I have dome it.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I would go with fella5's first suggestion.

I could be mistaken but if you do not have a session timeout, then in theory the client could stay connected indefinetly, so long as he never disconnects to then have to re-authenticate.

For Example:

Client gets an 4 hour account.

Client connects and logs in.

Username is verified.

Client is allowed to join the network.

4 hours goes by and the username expires.

If client is still connected when the account expires, client still continues to work on the network because it never has to re-authenticate.

Opposed to:

Clients session times out every 60 minutes, so client must re-authenticate.

After his session-timeout after the 4 hours is up, his username is no longer valid and therefor can not authenticate again.

My suggestion is normally to set this value to whatever you set your account expirations to.

You also want to make sure you have this disabled on all your controllers including your anchor contoller.

Has anyone done any testing on the effects this has on normal applications?

My peer did a study just last week on this issue with his vocera network. He experienced 1 to 1.5 seconds of "dead" air when the enable session kicked in ... The client received a DEAUTH frame which caused the client to do a totally new AUTH ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin