Wireless Design

Unanswered Question
Apr 22nd, 2009

I need to connect a WAP to a switch but the distance is quite big, so planning to connect it via SM/MM fiber using Media Convertor is it possible ?

also need suggetion on different mounting types to attach/hang the WAP

any other consideration.

I have attached a simple dia


I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
gamccall Wed, 04/22/2009 - 10:58

Ethernet is ethernet. You can connect a WAP using media converters in exactly the same way you'd connect any other Ethernet device.

Obviously, you can't run POE over fiber, so you'll have to power the AP locally, or using a power injector colocated with the media converter.

Assuming you buy it new, the AP will come with a mounting bracket.

MKCHAURASIA Wed, 04/22/2009 - 11:14

Thanks Gamccall,

I am supporting the site remotly, also the AP is not New, available at site so need mounting options ?

I will use local power to power the AP


gamccall Wed, 04/22/2009 - 11:28

The easiest option will be to buy a spare bracket; the part number will be specific to whatever model AP you purchased.


This Discussion