Replies

Unity 4x (VMO) to Unity 5x UM with Exchange 2007

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Scenario:

Unity 4.0(4) w/Failover

VMO, Off-box Exchange 2000 message store

Unity is it's own domain (not integrated with corporate)

Upgrading to Unity 5x

Unified Messaging, integrate server with into corporate AD domain and Exchange 2007 message store (the off box message store used only for Unity will go away)

Does anyone have any input on a process for this which would preserve as much data as possible - i.e., Call Handlers, and particularly subscriber data such as recorded name, settings, and messagess? Caveats, limitations?

Also, any input on the viability of COBRAS and/or Migrate Subscriber Data is appreciated as well.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

GSM/MSD is not an option here since they're on seperate networks.

COBRAS will work for you here - check out the details on it's home page. Of special note you will have to map the aliases of the users from your backed up system to the aliases of the users on your Excange 2007 server - those users need to exist already and have mailboxes setup (which presumably you do if it's your corporate email). I'm assuming the aliases wont match up. The Database Viewer utility on the COBRAS home page has a mechanism for remapping the user's aliases via a CSV file - provide the old alias in your existing 4.0(4) server and the new alias that corresponds to the user's in your Exchange 2007 setup.

That's really it - bringing messages over with COBRAS will mark them all unread and their send time will be the time of import - MS technically doesn't support ExMerge with 2007 but you can find many docs via Google that tells you how to do this if you'd rather go that route.

the help file on the COBRAS home page goes into great detail on what data is included and what's not across versions - be sure to review it carefully:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_COBRAS.htm

View solution in original post

it wont work with 4.0(4) - some of the database views/procs it uses are not there/working in earlier versions. if you want to use COBRAS you'll have to get to 4.0(4). Didn't mention it because I didn't notice it in your first post - but it doesn't matter - you'd have figured it out pretty quick when the COBRAS export tool said "no" when you ran it ;->

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

GSM/MSD is not an option here since they're on seperate networks.

COBRAS will work for you here - check out the details on it's home page. Of special note you will have to map the aliases of the users from your backed up system to the aliases of the users on your Excange 2007 server - those users need to exist already and have mailboxes setup (which presumably you do if it's your corporate email). I'm assuming the aliases wont match up. The Database Viewer utility on the COBRAS home page has a mechanism for remapping the user's aliases via a CSV file - provide the old alias in your existing 4.0(4) server and the new alias that corresponds to the user's in your Exchange 2007 setup.

That's really it - bringing messages over with COBRAS will mark them all unread and their send time will be the time of import - MS technically doesn't support ExMerge with 2007 but you can find many docs via Google that tells you how to do this if you'd rather go that route.

the help file on the COBRAS home page goes into great detail on what data is included and what's not across versions - be sure to review it carefully:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_COBRAS.htm

Jeff,

Thank you very much for the response. I have been pondering on this for a day or so. It seems feasible but it never hurts to ask. I've been looking over the COBRAS documentation and while the answer may be obvious, I'd like to ask a follow-up. The first thing I picked up on was that COBRAS listed support for backup starting at Unity 4.0(5). Is this a situation where COBRAS will not work with 4.0(4), it might work but is not supported, or it works and thats why you didn't mention it? :) If we have to get to 4.0(5) first then I have no problem with that...just trying to get a handle on all the moving parts.

Thanks again.

it wont work with 4.0(4) - some of the database views/procs it uses are not there/working in earlier versions. if you want to use COBRAS you'll have to get to 4.0(4). Didn't mention it because I didn't notice it in your first post - but it doesn't matter - you'd have figured it out pretty quick when the COBRAS export tool said "no" when you ran it ;->

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: