cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

My ISP doesn't know encaps information

DialerString_2
Level 3
Level 3

My ISP which will remain nameless -unless someone asks- doesn't know the encapsulation type, pvc's and other relevant information I need to configure my router. The only thing they can tell me is they don't use pppoe so that leaves IRB and PPPOA.

Is there anyway I can find parts or some of this information, other than configuring each encap method after the other?

I had to guess the PVC and managed to get that right and the adsl wic is trained. However the provider states they can see my ip address but not my MAC. hmmm

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Eric,

the provider can see your MAC address only if it is an RFC1483 bridged with ethernet frames carried inside AAL5 PDUs.

Usually Alcatel chips for RFC 1483 bridged use pvc 8/35 or 0/35.

But you say you have found the PVC.

if it is a PPPoA or simply IPv4 over ATM the provider cannot see the MAC.

You may also try to contact again the ISP in the hope to find someone more prepared or more collaborative.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for the response, Giuslar. The pvc is 0/35 and I asked specifically about RFC1483 and they couldn't tell me anything. I really didn't want to set up bridging but I may not have a choice.

Thanks again and for the other times you've commented on my post.

You do not necessarily to configure bridging. There is a command "atm route-bridged ip" under the subinterface that does that.

Wow, didn't realize that. I'm looking at the info on it now and thanks!!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card