cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Options for Queueing Strategies for 3750 Switch

pmoscatelli
Level 1
Level 1

Does the 3750 FastEthernet ports provide any other queueing option than FIFO?

13 Replies 13

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

3750 supports fair-queuing and random-detect as well.

Rack1SW1#sh run int f0/1

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 72 bytes

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

switchport access vlan 14

fair-queue

end

Rack1SW1#sh int f0/1 | i Queueing

Queueing strategy: weighted fair

Rack1SW1(config-if)#random-detect

Rack1SW1#sh int f0/1 | i Queueing

Queueing strategy: random early detection(RED)

For more information, refer to the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html#wp1284809

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks much Edison.

Here's my problem. My 3750 does not have these queueing commands available for my FastEthernet ports.

Here's what I have

cisco WS-C3750-48TS (PowerPC405)

(C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(50)SE

That's odd. My output above was taken from a 3560 running 12.2(25)SEE - sorry I don't have a 3750 switch at the moment but both should share the same set of commands.

Do you have the port configured in layer2 mode (switchport) or layer3 mode (no switchport)?

__

Edison.

Layer-2 with Q-Trunking

interface FastEthernet1/0/1

description CONNECTION TOWARDS CHICAGO

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

bandwidth 45000

load-interval 30

speed 100

duplex full

srr-queue bandwidth limit 10

spanning-tree portfast

Peter,

After further research, the commands I demonstrated on my original post are/were available in some version of IOS in the Catalyst switches but they aren't supported on that type of hardware.

The available queueing strategies are described in the link I provided, which are: WTD and SRR.

I see you are using SRR for bandwidth limiting and you can also use SRR for sharing and shaping of queues.

Please take a moment and read the link I provided on the 2 queuing options available. The 3750 has limited options in term of QoS as its marketed as a desktop switching solution, not a distribution|core switching solution.

You may also benefit from reading the QoS SRND:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND/QoS-SRND-Book.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Does the 3750 FastEthernet ports provide any other queueing option than FIFO?"

Yes and no. The 3750 provides 4 output FIFO queues per interface with weighted tail drop. The reference Edison provided explains further (although you should use the manuals for your release [which he didn't know at the time he provided it]).

PS:

Regarding Edison noting FQ support in his release but not found in yours, the configuration guide, for his version, notes in Appendix C, page C-5, it's an unsupported interface command, see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/3560SCG.pdf

Okay. So I downloaded the configuration guide, but I'm not really following you. Sorry.

I've read lots of manuals and couldn't find anything about queuing other than what I see defined on the interface by default (FIFO). Can someone show me on a 3750 running this release?

Thanks

Just want to confirm you've read: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_50_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html.

When you write "what I see defined on the interface by default", what do you mean? QoS stats on this platform are not shown as they are on routers. What are you "seeing"?

Sorry about the delayed response. Here's a "show interface" output. Queueing Strategy is FIFO.

Peter

MRHONGCG01RGW01#show int fa1/0/1

FastEthernet1/0/1 is up, line protocol is up (connected)

Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is 000f.34f0.1b03 (bia 000f.34f0.1b03)

Description: CONNECTION TOWARDS CHICAGO

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 45000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, media type is 10/100BaseTX

input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input 00:00:00, output 00:00:01, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters 4d16h

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue: 0/0 (size/max)

30 second input rate 6000 bits/sec, 8 packets/sec

30 second output rate 3000 bits/sec, 4 packets/sec

3366507 packets input, 595882008 bytes, 0 no buffer

Received 2440100 broadcasts (2440060 multicasts)

0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 watchdog, 2440060 multicast, 0 pause input

0 input packets with dribble condition detected

1822391 packets output, 480478260 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets

0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

MRHONGCG01RGW01#

I suspect an "regular" show interface may not accurately depict output queuing on a 3750. You can also see in your stats "Output queue: 0/0 (size/max", and I doubt the maximum queue size is zero.

Okay. I appreciate your suppport.

So, where are we at. Not sure if we've answered the question on queueing strategy?

The 3750 supports 4 FIFO queues per interface. There are options on how each is dequeued relative to others, how buffers space is allocated, and various tail drops limits. The QoS chapter in the configuration guide explains these feature. If you have not read it, suggest you do. If you still have questions, post again.

Thanks. I plan on looking into this within the next few days.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card