Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aggregate GE on GSR12416

Guys,

I want to aggreate 2 GE from my GSR12416, im using L3 Engine: 2 - Backbone OC48 (2.5 Gbps), how may throughput will this card support? will each port (3GE linecard) deliver 1GE throughput, how is the calculation for this?

Thanks.

jeff

7 Replies 7

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jeff,

on a 3GE Engine2 linecard you can use two GE at line rate even with small packets.

It is possible to use all three GE ports but the limitation in pps and not only the speed of access to/from fabric don't allow to use all them full.

I don't suggest to use any form of etherchannel I would use the two GE ports as parallel L3 links

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

My main concern here my 2 GSR link is eating up 800Mbps plus of traffic, thats why im finding a way at least balance it on 2 GE. Do you think aggregating this will help? coz i think the throughput per port is 3/2.5Gps , is this correct?

Thanks.

jeff

Hello Jeff,

you can use two GE full rate of 3.

As I have written before I wouldn't aggregate the two GE in a bundle but I would use L3 load balancing.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Guiseppe,

2GE at full rate 3Gig is that what you mean? If i use L3 load balancing what would it be? How is this using routing protocols?

Thanks.

jeff

Hello Jeff,

2 GE full rate = 2 GE ports that can send and receive 1Gbps at the same time.

I simply mean that the two GE have each its own ip address and you use OSPF or other IGP to perform load balancing over them.

For example we did so in a mobile operator network using two GE of 3 with no problems.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

The 2 GSR links uses IBGP , how will be the config then if i use two ip address per interface.

Thanks.

jeff

Hello Jeff,

use iBGP sessions on loopback interfaces advertised on the IGP you use

then thanks to recursion the BGP next hop is resolved on the two parallel links and you get load balancing CEF flow based.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card