cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Microsoft Edge Server?

Jason Meyer
Level 1
Level 1

OK IronPort nation... need some help defending the empire here... Has anyone had any real expierience with the Microsoft Edge server? I need some real reasons to not migrate off of IronPort and onto the Microsoft Edge server... The Exchange administrators are after me... HELP!!!!

4 Replies 4

fyrefighter77
Level 1
Level 1

OK IronPort nation...   need some help defending the empire here...  Has anyone had any real expierience with the Microsoft Edge server?  I need some real reasons to not migrate off of IronPort and onto the Microsoft Edge server...   The Exchange administrators are after me...   HELP!!!!

The only reason FOR migrating off the Ironport appliance to the Edge Transport server is cost. The Edge role is free with an Enterprise CAL of Exchange 2007. Technically, the IronPort email appliance is superior in just about every way in my experience and I've used both. SenderBase, reporting, you name it. In this case, I'm not sure why the burden of proof is on you and not the Exchange admins. Unless, like I said, the motive behind this migration to the Edge role is purely monetary.

Jason Meyer
Level 1
Level 1

I am also one of the Exchange Admins so I am justifying the cost of the IronPort appliances over the Edge Role that we all ready own but haven't deployed.

Thanks for the input.

Long live the NATION.

fyrefighter77
Level 1
Level 1

I am also one of the Exchange Admins so I am justifying the cost of the IronPort appliances over the Edge Role that we all ready own but haven't deployed.

Thanks for the input.

Long live the NATION.

Hiya mate,

Did a little more digging and found this:

http://www.opus1.com/o/completed/exchange.html

Note this entry:
The antispam features in Exchange 2007 won't have anyone at antivirus market leader Symantec too frightened, out of the gate. Using the same antispam testing methodology we used in our 2004 antispam test over an 11,000-message stream, we found the spam-catch rate of the Exchange 2007 engine was a dismally low 81% to 86%, while the false-positive rate was an unacceptably high 2.1% to 2.3%. Results for Symantec and IronPort gave spam-catch rates of over 94%, with false-positive rates of less than .5% (see graphic). Users migrating to Exchange 2007 may want to keep their existing antispam and antivirus gateways. 

Jason Meyer
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Bob, this is what I needed. An independant voice showing real world results with different solutions.

Long live the NATION!.