cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Apache.exe errors

carl.donaldson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have LMS 3.1 on win2003 and i am getting lots of Application event errors in the event viewer from apache service. Closer inspection error message says "Apache.exe child process caused an exception and reported error - more info in error.log.

I found error.log within \cospx\MDC\Apache\logs. This log file has lots of erros mainly along the lines of:

[Thu Apr 23 09:50:14 2009] [error] [client ###.###.###.###] file does not exist: d:/program files/ (x86)/csopx/htdocs/images/######.gif etc etc

[Thu Apr 23 09:50:14 2009] [error] Apache.exe caused a EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module Apachecore.dll at 0023:6FFA8159, ap_ctx-get()+9 byte(s)

[Thu Apr 23 09:50:14 2009] [notice] Initializing etag from d:/program files/ (x86)/csopx/mdc/apache/logs/etag-state

There are lots of the above messages repaeating.

I have read within a thread that LMS 3.2 may fix these issues - is that corrcect and if so is LMS 3.2 available?

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, this is a known problem with Apache and mod_ssl interaction. This crash will go away when we upgrade to Apache 2.2 in LMS 3.2. LMS 3.2 will be out this summer.

In the meantime, these errors do not cause any functional problems with LMS, and can be ignored.

In the meantime, these errors do not cause any functional problems with LMS, and can be ignored ...

Other than crashing the web server and causing us to have to stop and restart the services all the time.

Interestingly enough in our Master / Slave setup. Our Master on a non-VM system and our Slave on a VM; the VM says up a lot longer than the non-VM system.

I can't wait till this is resolved because it's a complete pain.

These errors do not cause a problem with the main Apache.exe process, and do not require any daemons to be restarted. They indicate a problem with a child process, which gets respawned automatically.

If you have a problem where a daemon restart is required, that is different from this. To my knowledge, only one such issue has been reported, and it is still being investigated.

I also have a problem with pages not appearing etc and need to restart deamon services regularly to fix this.

When the pages do not display, how much CPU is the Apache.exe process consuming?

I will check at the next opportunity and post results.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco