ccnp network sim

Answered Question
Apr 23rd, 2009

I would like to start my CCNP, however I would like to know which network sim I can use to do labs.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by johnlloyd_13 about 7 years 8 months ago

to get an IOS go to

http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/index.shtml

you'll need to have a CCO login or register (if you have valid smartnet contract) in order to download.

Correct Answer by 3191100590220 about 7 years 9 months ago

I strongly agree with JON with dynamips. But if you want to make graphic network simulator I would highly recommend using GNS3, because is an excellent complementary tool to real labs for Cisco network engineers. It can also be used to experiment features of Cisco IOS or to check configurations that need to be deployed later on real routers.

Regards,

Sanon S.

Correct Answer by srue about 7 years 9 months ago

caveat to caveat 1) above. i think if you use gns3 you can set a lower priority on the emulation so it doesn't slow the rest of your pc down quite as much.

Correct Answer by Jon Marshall about 7 years 9 months ago

Shane

Personally i would use dynamips -

http://7200emu.hacki.at/index.php

This is software that actually runs the Cisco IOS on your PC/laptop and therefore provides full routing functionality. It can also emulate a frame-relay switch, an ethernet switch, an ATM switch.

2 caveats with the above -

1) You need a reasonably specced PC/laptop as dynamips is quite CPU and memory intensive

2) You need to have access to Cisco IOS images as dynamips actually loads these on your PC.

Jon

Overall Rating: 5 (4 ratings)
Correct Answer
Jon Marshall Fri, 04/24/2009 - 05:46

Shane

Personally i would use dynamips -

http://7200emu.hacki.at/index.php

This is software that actually runs the Cisco IOS on your PC/laptop and therefore provides full routing functionality. It can also emulate a frame-relay switch, an ethernet switch, an ATM switch.

2 caveats with the above -

1) You need a reasonably specced PC/laptop as dynamips is quite CPU and memory intensive

2) You need to have access to Cisco IOS images as dynamips actually loads these on your PC.

Jon

Correct Answer
srue Fri, 04/24/2009 - 05:51

caveat to caveat 1) above. i think if you use gns3 you can set a lower priority on the emulation so it doesn't slow the rest of your pc down quite as much.

shanemcanuff Fri, 04/24/2009 - 06:15

Hi Jon, thanks for your reply I will try it and see if this will meet my needs.

Correct Answer
3191100590220 Fri, 04/24/2009 - 09:56

I strongly agree with JON with dynamips. But if you want to make graphic network simulator I would highly recommend using GNS3, because is an excellent complementary tool to real labs for Cisco network engineers. It can also be used to experiment features of Cisco IOS or to check configurations that need to be deployed later on real routers.

Regards,

Sanon S.

blaxucisco Wed, 05/13/2009 - 11:23

Hi Sanon,

I am also using GNS it is working perfectly, but I can only load router IOS not switch IOS. please give me step by step process how to configure switch in GNS

thanks

laxman

Actions

This Discussion