Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Internet Hardware Solution Needed

vdinenna71
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a situation where I have 3 building that are over 1000 ft apart and have no wired solution we can plug into (and no line of site) for sharing files. Does Cisco provide a wireless Internet hardware solution where 3 buildings can share files securely such as VPN? 1 Meg up and down would be ok, but I guess that depends on the service provider.

Recently, I've come across the D-LINK DIR-450 that uses a PCMCIA card with 3G and other wireless Internet.

Any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Vince

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well since you don't have line of sight, you can't do any bridging. Cisco does make a router that has 3G support. You can look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7272/

You can also create vpn tunnels with this product depending on the IOS.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

ehlers.kevin
Level 1
Level 1

You could use the 1522 mesh aps. You can run them in bridge mode, which effectively makes the mesh network a big switch.

In terms of encryption, you'd have to do something else. The lwapp/capwap aps don't encrypt client traffic on the wireless backhaul (5GHz), only lwapp/capwap control traffic. If you're talking about encrypting traffic from the client to the AP (2.4GHz), yes they can do wpa/wpa2.

As for no line of site, you might need a relay of some sort. Another mesh AP would work for this. All it would need is power.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco has recently released three different router ISR with AP/LAP and 3G support: 860 (4-port L2 switch), 880 (4-port L2 switch) and the 890 (8-port L2 switch).

Alternatively, if you already have an ISR, you can purchase a 3G HWIC card (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/ps7272/prod_brochure0900aecd80601268.pdf).

Hope this helps for you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card