Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1700 Router default IP address?

chobus
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I "inherited" a Cisco 1700 router and I cannot find any documentation or software to connect to it. How can I connect to it without info? What is the default IP address? Can I connect to it through Web Browser Interface? I really need to make some changes to it ASAP.

Can anyone help me please?

PS - We have no paid Cisco support, so I cannot download the PDM.

Thanks!

Chuck

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chuck

An IOS router such as the 1700 does not have a default IP address. Some of the IOS routers have SDM installed and the installation of SDM does provide an IP address as a starting place. If youi "inherited" this 1700 does that imply that it has been in use? If so I doubt that even if it has SDM that it would still use the beginning address from SDM.

The best way to access the 1700 to make config changes is not through a network interface but is through the console port. You connect to the router console port using a PC serial interface and a console cable and some terminal emulation software such as Hyperterm.

Note that whether you access the 1700 by network interface or by console port you will probably need passwords to get into the 1700. If you do not have passwords then there is a password recovery procedure which you can use. This requires connection through the console port.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick