Helpful
Replies

Banner Motd #

gurkamal01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

My question might seem very simple to you guys but i can't get it to work

I am trying to enter a huge banner motd on cisco 3550 switch but when i copy and paste it into hyper term it gives me an error message ^

I tried ----conf t

and then ---banner motd # ............

i also tried typing each word manually intead of copy pasting but after entering certain lines it stopped

Please advise

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

gursaran

The symptom that you describe sounds like the text of your banner message contains the delimmiter character. When this happens it has the effect of terminating the banner before you want it to.

When you get into config mode and you enter the command banner motd, then the next character that you type is the delimiter, which defines the beginning and the end of the banner. So if you type the command as banner motd #, then the delimiter is #. When IOS sees the next # it terminates the banner.

Is it possible that your text for the banner contains the #? If so, then use some other character as the delimiter, and choose some character that does not appear in the text of the banner.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

gursaran

The symptom that you describe sounds like the text of your banner message contains the delimmiter character. When this happens it has the effect of terminating the banner before you want it to.

When you get into config mode and you enter the command banner motd, then the next character that you type is the delimiter, which defines the beginning and the end of the banner. So if you type the command as banner motd #, then the delimiter is #. When IOS sees the next # it terminates the banner.

Is it possible that your text for the banner contains the #? If so, then use some other character as the delimiter, and choose some character that does not appear in the text of the banner.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

gursaran

I am glad that my suggestion did lead you to a solution of your problem. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your problem was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can know that there was a response which did lead to a solution.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

What about something like this?

I can't seem to get the carriage return to work correctly.

banner login ^

No unauthorized access to this system.

(MFA Required)

^

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card