Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS hosname resolution problem.......

gauravshar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

We have one problem related to the DNS hostname resolution in teh datacenter devices.

The servers have multiple NIC cards, one of them is primary production NIC (10.10.3.X) and another one is for backup (storage-backup) network with subnet 10.10.200.X). The backup subnet is entirely separate and we are not routing this subnet in the datacenter devices.

The problem is when I try to connect to any server from one of my remote site using hostname it does not respond as the hostname resolves to 10.10.200.X IP address. This problem is not happening always, just intermittant. Is there any way I can stop the backup NIC IP to participate in DNS queries? What do you think the problem could be?

Thanks and regards,

--Gaurav

1 Reply 1

tonysimms
Level 1
Level 1

Gaurav,

I'm going to work on the assumption that your servers are Windows servers. If not, there should be some easy linux port for this solution. It sounds like your internal DNS servers simply have two entries for the servers and are returning different results in a round-robin format. Follow the steps below to disable DNS registration on your 10.10.200.x NIC.

In the network connections properties page for your 10.10.200.x NIC, go into INTERNET PROTOCOL properties, then ADVANCED. Click the DNS tab at the top. UNCHECK the option to REGISTER THIS CONNECTION'S ADDRESSES IN DNS. After that, validate that your 10.10.3.x NIC properties have that checkbox CHECKED (if not, check it). After that, all you'll need to do is delete the unwanted DNS entries from your internal name servers.

Let me know if that helps you out.

Anthony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: