Views
Helpful
Replies

How to set up an extended LAN through a WAN

nviturat20
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to make an extended LAN through a WAN without using a MPLS configuration.

SO what I am going to set look like this :

LAN 1 --------WAN ------------- LAN 2

192.168.100.0 192.168.100.0

The two LANs are using the same network addresses.

Is there any solution to make this working by using for example GRE, NAT or something else?

Best Regards,

Nicolas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas

That link is a bit out of date as far as support goes. There are a number of feature sets for the 2811 and 3825 routers that support L2TPv3 eg. Advanced IP Services, Enterprise Services.

Have a look at Feature Navigator - http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp and select by feature and you will see which versions are available for your routers.

Jon

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nicolas

L2TPv3 will allow you to extend the same vlan across a L3 routed network -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtl2tpv3.html

Jon

Hi Jon

Thanks you for your reply. It's really helpfull but according to the link above L2TPv3 is supported only on router Cisco 7200 and 7500 Series router.

In my project I am using only 3825 and 2811 ISR routers.

Is it still possible to set up L2TPv3?

Best Regards.

Nicolas

Nicolas

That link is a bit out of date as far as support goes. There are a number of feature sets for the 2811 and 3825 routers that support L2TPv3 eg. Advanced IP Services, Enterprise Services.

Have a look at Feature Navigator - http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp and select by feature and you will see which versions are available for your routers.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply, I will try with your solution.

Best Regards,

Nicolas

Jon:

Maybe I'm just simple-minded, but doesn't L2TPv3 seem overly complex and convoluted.

Is there a simpler method?

Victor

Victor

"Maybe I'm just simple-minded" - no comment :-)

Seriously though i just think this is the cleanest solution if you don't have an existing L2 link between sites or you don't have an MPLS network where you can utilise pseudo-wire or whatever Cisco call it. And to be honest i have never tried another way. I'm not sure whether you could bodge something together such as bridging/GRE but i would view that as just if not more complicated.

So i'm not sure there is a simpler way but others may have suggestions.

And then of course there is the question as to why is it needed in the first place. If it is a short term fix then okay but if it is a permanent solution you could ask

1) should the design not have taken this into account - maybe/maybe not as requirements so change

2) if it is permanent maybe the 2 sites should be linked via L2 rather than L3, or perhaps, budget dependent, a new L2 link could be justified in addition to the L3 link.

Jon

So i'm not sure there is a simpler

Simpler? Nope. L2TPv3 only takes one command on each router to implement.

IRB? spit :) You will enable STP with this solution.

__

Edison.

One command?

I read the link put out by Jon and it isnt one command. Now, Im sure there are different ways to implement the solution given its requirements, so given the O/Ps requirements, can you show us the simple, one-line config that would effectively bridge his vlan acrosss the L3 cloud?

Thanks

One command with ATOM, with L2TPv3 I forgot you need to create a pseudowire-class but the command on itself is just one.

See attachment.

__

Edison.

Oh go on then - all that work has to be worth a rating :-)

One command?

pseudowire-class L2

encapsulation l2tpv3

ip local interface FastEthernet0/1

xconnect 192.168.13.1 1 pw-class L2

This is one command?

I see 4, my friend. Do I need to call the Count from Sesame Street to help you with this?? "WON, TWO, TREE, FOR, FIFE...!" ;-)

Thanks, Edison.

Victor

Victor,

If you read again my last post, I explained you only need one with ATOM (that's one I use the most these days) and the reason you need the pw-class in L2TPv3 is due to the local interface where you source the xconnect.

__

Edison.

Edison, I'm just teasing you, man...giving you a little taste of your own sarcasm ;-)

Seriously, thanks for the config.

Victor

"giving you a little taste of your own sarcasm ;-)"

Edison, sarcastic, surely not :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card