Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem: MOH for external callers

ludovic.anquier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I have à problem with the configuration of music on hold on my SPA 9000. I've change the MOH by TFTP server (like in admin guide). It works but only with internal calls. When I put on hold an external caller, he hears another music but not my music. I don't know where this music comes from. Is a codec problem? Does it come from my voip provider?

Thanks

Ludovic, France

14 Replies 14

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ludovic,

I cannot think of any way that a caller can hear MoH audio that is not controlled by you.

Codec use only affects if MoH is supported or not, not the audio source.

Please do the following to help troubleshoot this further:

1. Provide the SPA9000 configuration as described here: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-3027
  2. Provide the phone's configuration as described here: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-2982
  3. Configure debugging on the SPA9000 as described here: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-3032
  4. Configure debugging on the SPA phone as described here: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-3033
  5. Make an internal call and put the call on hold so the information is logged
  6. Make an external call and put the call on hold so the information is logged
  7. Ask the person being called to record the audio, using their mobile phone's audio record feature, or something similar
  8. Send me the configuration files, log file, and the MoH audio heard by the external called party

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Patrick!

Thanks for your help!  I send you the configuration of my SPA9000 and SPA9XX. I don-t really understand what logs say so I send them too.

I can't record the music on hold for external caller (my phone doesn't have the option) but it's not the same that I have in my SPA9000 (default music downloaded on Linksys.com)

Thanks

Hi Ludovic,

Looking at the SPA9000 information:

The following is reported/configured on your SPA9000:

Voice > Info > Internal Music Status > Installed Music Path: tftp://192.168.1.33:69/perfume.au

Voice > SIP > PBX Parameters > Call Park MOH Server: imusic

Voice > SIP > Internal Music Source Parameters > Internal Music URL: tftp://192.168.1.33:69/romance.dat

I would expect both Voice > Info > Internal Music Status > Installed Music Path: and Voice > SIP > Internal Music Source Parameters > Internal Music URL: to be the same.

Could it be that you intend for people to hear romance.dat, but callers are hearing perfume.au instead?

I'm wondering if the TFTP transfer failed when you attempted to install romance.dat.

Can you please try install romance.dat again?

This time, watch the TFTP server's log and also watch the SPA9000's log to see if any errors are reported.

Lastly, please verify that romance.dat is in G.711u format, sampled at 8000 samples/sec, has  no file header, and is less than 65.6 seconds in length.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi Patrick

I changed the configuration:

voice>info>Internal Music Status>Installed Music Path: tftp://192.168.1.33:69/romance.dat

voice>SIP>Internal music parameters>Internal music URL: tftp://192.168.1.33:69/romance.dat

I can hear romance.dat for internal calls only. I know how to change this music easily by TFTP server (I use Solarwinds TFTP server), TFTP transfer works perfectly. My problem is that for external calls, callers hear a totally unknown music. I don't know where it comes from, it's not "perfume.au". It sounds like flamenco but I really don't know this music, I never heared it before!

So I don't know how I can't change it for external calls. I'm using romance.dat that I downloaded on linksys.com (default music for SPA9000) so it's in good format (g711u, 8000kbits, no header and good lenght)

I'm using SPA9000 v2.0 with firmware 6.1.5

I saw that a lot of people ask the same question on many forums but no response, don't you think it could be a bug on the SPA9000?

Thanks

Hi Ludovic,

Do you recall, before you changed the music, did both internal and external callers hear the same MoH?

Do you recall the exact steps that you followed when you changed the MoH music, including any mis-steps? I want to attempt to replicate this in my lab in order to further pursue.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Patrick,

I can confirm what Ludovic says. I also have diffrent MoH for internal and external calls.

Regards

Eivind

Hi Eivind,

Thanks for this information. Can you describe what sequence of events led up to this? As soon as I can replicate, I can start working on understanding / resolving the problem.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Patrick,

I didn't do anything with the MoH file, I guess this is a factory default with diffrent MoH for internal and external calls?

Regards,

Eivind

Hi Eivind,

Thanks for checking and reporting back.

Can you please send me your SPA9000's configuration file? I'm curious to see how the device is configured. I'm at paborn at Cisco.com

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Hi,

I've sent you the config files.

Regards

Eivind

ludovic.anquier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrick, Hi Eivind!

Did you test theMOH finally? Does it works?

I tried other solutions but I can't have the same MOH for internal and external callers. And I just can choose MOH for internal calls, not for external calls.

I tried another IPBX: ELASTIX! With elastix, I can choose the music I want so it's not MOH from my provider IP.

I really think this is a SPA9000 problem.

Ludovic

Hi Ludovic,

I've been very busy, but I'll do some debugs later on today and send the results to Patrick.

Regards

Eivind

Hi Ludovic,

I have just tested MoH without problems in my lab as follows:

1. inboundcall from mobile phone to PSTN connected to SPA400 > SPA9000 > SPA962

2. place call on hold and I hear the default Romance de Amor [clasical-souding guitar music]

3. end call

4. inboundcall from mobile phone to ITSP connected to SPA9000 > SPA962

5. place call on hold and I hear the default Romance de Amor

6. end call

7. internal call from SPA962 to another SPA962

8. place call on hold and I hear the default Romance de Amor

9. end call

I traced the calls and see that when I press hold, a SIP INVITE To: is sent from the SPA962 to the SPA9000

The SPA9000 responds with a 100 Trying, then a 200 OK, and the music starts playing.

Can you please perform the same tests while tracing with Wireshark and then send me the trace so I can analyze.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Jack Germanos
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried getting MOH to work many times I have requested support from Cisco but they could not assist it just does not work for external they keep blaming the service provider

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: