cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about Discovery and Bulk Import

stephenscott
Level 1
Level 1

I have added all of our devices so far via Bulk Import using a csv file. I have a question about using discovery now that I have devices in RME. How do I avoid duplicating all of my devices if I use discovery from here on out? We are getting ready to deploy 1500 VoIP handsets and I want to be able to discover them without importing them. My main concern is using discovery now that I have a working DB and duplicating the current devices. I have names for all of my devices as opposed to IP Addresses and would rather keep it that way. Any ideas or input appreciated.

10 Replies 10

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What versions of Campus Manager and Common Services do you have?

CS 3.2.0

CM 5.1.0

Then you have nothing to worry about in terms of duplicates. Discovery will automatically resolve duplicates. If you do not want to display name attribute changing in DCR, then do NOT check the "Update DCR Display Name" box in the Discovery Global Settings.

Thanks Joe. I tried the suggestions and all went well until I got this error message:

Error in communicating with DCR Server. DCR Server may be down. Please start the DCR Server and then start discovery.

I have made sure this folder is excluded from AntiVirus scanning. I even issued the command net stop crmdmgdt and net start crmdmgdt. I actually get that error quite a bit.

You can either stop and re-start the DCR server in Cisco Works or you have to stop and re-start Cisco works using:

net stop crmdmgtd

and then

net start crmdmgtd

This will restart CW in the proper Sequence.

I have done that...see my previous post.

I feel your pain. I can see no rhyme or reason that this occurs (and it occurs to me TOO frequently). I have yet to see any explanation for it either.

Try going in through CW and stopping and re-starting just the DCR SERVER ...

From the Functional Tab go to..

Common Services... Server...Admin...Processes

Scroll down to DCR Server and Select it. Then you can stop it, and re-start it. At that point it SHOULD be running.

Cheers!

This is most likely CSCsu84143. A patch is available from http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/cw2000-cd-one .

Thanks Joe.

I will try it and see if it makes difference in my environment.

I have scheduled to install the patch tomorrow morning. I will report my findings. Thanks Joe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: