cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1300 or 1400 bridge remote setup

Steve Chapman
Level 1
Level 1

I need advise on setting up a bridge between 2 buildings ¼ mile away from each other. There is clear line of site. I need to be able to provide wireless on the remote end only. I was think maybe a 1400 series with a Omnidirectional Antenna at the HO and a 1242 with a dish at the remote end using the A radio as backhall and b/g for users. Is this possible / wise to do? Should I consider using 1300 radio instead? Please advise on what other thing I will need power injector and a power supply, coax cable, etc.

My current setup is 170 1240 Lightweight AP with 2 Wism blades and WCS. I never done any outdoor setup so I want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Thank for your help.

Steve Chapman

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In the remote side, the bridge or ap in bridge mode will be located on the roof, so are you planning on extending the 2.4ghz antenna indoor to give users wireless. You can look at maybe doing a WGB senerio or just go bridge to bridge and then add a switch and an ap on the remote end. I like using external antennas for bridges unless you are pretty close, so make sure if you go with a bridge, that you don't get one with a built-in antenna only, unless you want to go that route. How much bandwidth will you need across the wireless link. Cisco bridges are 54mbps max, but as you know... you divide that in half to give you what you will really get at max. If you need more, then you will have to go with another 3rd party point to point bridge.

Here are some links that may help clear things up:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps441/products_qanda_item09186a0080094644.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a008015502c.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps458/products_tech_note09186a008009459b.shtml

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

You can definitely do 1242 with A radio backhaul bridging to G radio AP for users. The closer your AP to the antenna the better, otherwise you can get 5/10/20 feet lowloss cables between the antenna and the AP. Lightning arrestor for the outdoor antenna would also be a good idea.

FYI, your remote side AP1242 will not be LWAPP controlled and will have to run in Autonomous mode in order to setup bridging between A and G radios.

That was what I was thinking. The distance betweent the Antenna and ap would be no more the 10 or so feet. Now on the 1400 bridge I have to have a converter for the coax to rj45 right?

How long does the coax cable need to be before I need to worry about db loss?

If you buy a new 1400, it comes with the power injector and coax cables. The power injector is technically and media converter/power injector in one box.

Since the coax cables are carrying your network and power, not RF signals, distance is not as big of an issue. The bridge comes with 20 and 50 foot coax cables. The docs mention 100 meters as the max distance between the injector and the bridge.

If your configuration uses an external antenna on the 1400, then normal cable length issues apply (shorter is better).

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card