cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router on a stick

DARYLE DIANIS
Level 1
Level 1

I have an isr 2851 and need to support multiple vlans on g0/0, I'm connecting to a layer 2 switch. Is a router on a stick my only option? Do the isr's support a trunk command, similar to the "switchport mode trunk" found on cat switches?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"I'm connecting to a layer 2 switch. Is a router on a stick my only option"

Unless you have an etherswitch module in the 2851 then yes that is pretty much your only option.

"Do the isr's support a trunk command, similar to the "switchport mode trunk" found on cat switches?"

Again with etherswitch modules this command is available but not if you are just using one of the inbuilt gigabit ethernet interfaces.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"I'm connecting to a layer 2 switch. Is a router on a stick my only option"

Unless you have an etherswitch module in the 2851 then yes that is pretty much your only option.

"Do the isr's support a trunk command, similar to the "switchport mode trunk" found on cat switches?"

Again with etherswitch modules this command is available but not if you are just using one of the inbuilt gigabit ethernet interfaces.

Jon

thanks for the quick answer to my post.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card