Views
Helpful
Replies

Microphone volume on CP-524SG

Eivind Jonassen
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I´ve gotten some complaints from a customer about the microphone on the CP524 handset, their customers have trouble hearing them from time to time. Is there any way to increase the "microphone volume" on this phone?

Thanks,

Eivind

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Eivind,

Please email me directly at marchern@cisco.com

I will give you the latest 521-524 SPCP version and we will take it from there.

Thanks,

Marcos

View solution in original post

Eivind,

The CLI David is referring to is voice port specific (input gain, output attenuation). The gain the Product Manager mentioned is a configuration parameter on the IP phone itself. You can connect via your browser to the IP phone and experiment with these values. I am in the process of creating a document to explain these steps in detail, but you might want to give it a shot by yourself.

Thanks,

Marcos

Here is the document. Please let us know if this helps:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-7657

Marcos

31 Replies 31

Eivind,

What phone load are you using? There are some significant improvements related to audio quality on the 500 series phone, add in versions 8.1.13 and above.

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Hi Marcos,

I see from the config that I use 8.1.13

UC520#sh run | i 524
tftp-server flash:/phones/521_524/cp524g-08-01-13.bin alias cp524g-08-01-13.bin
load 521G-524G cp524g-08-01-13

The customer feels he has to have the handset in his mouth so that the other party hear him ok, hehe. It's especially noticeably if he turns his head away from the handset during conversation, he told me he has to concentrate to hold the handset close to his mouth.

Regards,

Eivind

Can you provide a "show ephone phone-load"?

Thanks,

Marcos

UC520#sh ephone phone-load
DeviceName        CurrentPhoneload       PreviousPhoneload      LastReset
=====================================================================
SEP00211BFC9222   8.1.13                 8.1.13                 Warm+CMERequest
SEP00211BFC9223   8.1.13                 8.1.13                 Hard+CMERequest
SEP00211BFC921F   8.1.13                 8.1.13                 Hard+CMERequest
SEP00211BFC9224   8.1.13                 8.1.13                 Hard+CMERequest
SEP00235EB6E726    SCCP31.8-3-5S          SCCP31.8-3-5S         Reset-Reset
SEP0004f2e559a3   cmterm_7936.3-3-15-0   cmterm_7936.3-3-15-0   Reset-Restart

Regards,

Eivind

OK, the phone loads are correct. A few more question, does this happen to all phones?  Does it happen for internal calls, external calls or both? What type of PSTN trunks are you using?

Thanks,

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Marcos,

Especially one user is complaining about this. I know this is for the external calls. They have a SIP trunk, and a 7931 phone which does not have this problem.

I'll check with the customer regarding internal calls and the other phones.

Regards

Eivind

Update:

This is for all the phones and both internally and external calls

Message was edited by: Eivind Jonassen

Eivind,

Please email me directly at marchern@cisco.com

I will give you the latest 521-524 SPCP version and we will take it from there.

Thanks,

Marcos

m.junghage
Level 1
Level 1

I also have a customer who's complaining on low mic volume, five out of six employees have CP-521 handset and one has a CP-7941. According to them the problem exists on all their phones. My experience tells me that the 7941 is problem free and it's the 521's that's faulty.

It's running on cp524g-08-01-07. Would a upgrade to the latest phoneload (cp524g-8-1-16b) solve the problem?

I cannot guarantee it will solve the problem, but I can say this much: we did not see volume issues on that load.

Let me know what you find after the upgrade.

Thanks,

Marcos

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I stopped quoting these handsets for this specific reason, the amounts of complaints were just too much to bare.

Out of the 500 series phones, the 525G Has to have the best audio i have heard out of the majority of the Cisco Phones, but without being too offensive the 524 and below were just rubbish phones, i lieterraly spent weeks on trying to resolve this problem, no matter what we did we couldnt resolve this problem.

I dont know if the MIC is the problem (Which is my suspecion) or if the firmware of the phone was just not adequate enough to produce good volume to the listener/receiver. But the complaints were allways the same, the person on the other end can not hear me, and they need to have their mouths right up to the handset, lips almost touching and all.

My suggestion to you is, dont spend too much time on them, if they are going to cost you more money in trying to resolve the problem then just swaping them out for another phone, then you are better off swapping them out, i know the Cisco Crew wont like me saying that, but at the end of the day you really cant afford such a minor problem becoming a huge one and costing you money and time and possibly a client, it is just not worth it. Look at selling them when the problem is resolved and you have Lab tested them till they cant be tested no further, and have passed all the tests.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

I have forwarded your feedback to the Product Managers. These quality issues should not be happening. I haven't experienced them in my setup, but this is not the first complain we hear, so we need to get to the bottom of this. Is this still an issue in 8.1.16b?

Thanks,

Marcos

David,

I got a response from one of the PM's:

Marcos,

Thanks for the heads up.

I am going to have our engineer take a look into this.
To ensure that this is not a configuration issue. As
We do have a few parameters on our phone called

Handset Input Gain ( -6db, 0 +6db )

That allows user to configure, that will translate to
The loudness the far end hear. We have lots of SIP
SPs that played around with this value to meet their
Network requirements.

We have significantly improved the audio quality on our
500 Series IP Phones.

If you have TAC cases for the issues you describe, I would kindly ask you to email them to me at marchern@cisco.com. I will forward those to our DE.

Thanks,

Marcos

Marcos,

Are we able to adjust the handset input gain through CLI??? Is that correct?

Thanks,

Eivind

Hi Marcos,

To be honest with you i havent touched one in at least 2 months, after the last problems we experienced with them we just thought it was best to move on. I didn't log a TAC case on this as initially we thought it might have been a CCC Configuration issue and i was working on this problem with Dave Harper, but i no longer work for that organization and with my current place of employment i have advised that we don't use them for the interim.

I will ask our account manager to send us a couple of units for testing, i have a couple of different LAB setups i can work with here now so i will see what the end results will be and then send my findings to you.

I understand that that we can change the gain VIA the CLI, however when we did this last time it resulted with either excessively loud volume at the far end, or garbled voice transmission, on top of that i normaly do not like to configure the volume of the handset via CLI and tend to keep it default where ever possible, and on top of that one the volume levels change between different outbound calling's I.E you end up with one volume level for PSTN/ISDN and another for SIP calls, they are never the same and would change quite a fair bit.

I add, it is only the 524 series Handsets this problem was experienced on, no other handsets.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: