cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.1 - Usertracking - No Hostnames in End Host Table

rfuerdauer
Level 1
Level 1

We don't get Hostnames in our End Host Table. Only the IP Adress is shown.

The system nslookup returns the hostname for a IP if its in the hostfile, and the FQDN if the IP Adress is not in the hosts file.

So I think the name resolution is configured correctly.

I've found some threads where a test with the resolver.pl from CW is shown.

But resolver.pl can not resolve the IP's.

Any suggestions ?

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The problem is that the IP addresses are not being found during UT acquisition, or you are seeing CSCsw63454. The latter can easily be fixed by upgrading to CM 5.1.3. If the problem is the former, you will need to make sure that routers containing ARP entries for the end hosts are being managed by Campus Manager (i.e. they appear with green router icons on the Topology Map), and that their ARP caches are populated at the time UT acquisition runs.

Hi,

it seems we are hitting Bug CSCsw63454 (FQDN Names correct after major acquisition, missing after minor acquisition).

But we ARE using CM 5.1.3 - i think the bug is still there.

Another question about minor acquisition:

You can enter a value in the minutes field for minor scheduling, but how are they related ?

xx Minutes after last finished minor/major acquisition, or measured from daemons start, or from Midnight, ... ?

And whats if a minor will hit a running major acquisition ?

No, the bug is really fixed. You are most likely seeing a different problem where UT is not finding ARP entries in its acquisition sweep. Make sure that the routers associated with the subnets on which those MACs are connected are properly Data Collected by Campus Manager, and show up with green router icons on the topology map.

The minor acquisition schedule is periodic with an absolute countdown. If a major acquisition is running, then a minor will not be started. Minor acquisitions don't really buy you much unless you have frequent network infrastructure changes. I typically recommend one disable them. These days, I recommend two major acquisitions per day supplemented with Dynamic UT.

I've checked the routers for the subnets, and they are properly collected and have green icons.

The situation has not changed: IP's of end hosts always there, hostnames only between major and the next minor acquisition.

Sorry for the repeated question, but i still not understand the timing from minor acq.

I've scheduled major aqu at 10:00 and 14:00. When will minor aqu run ?

Where can i see them (acquisitions are not shown in job browser) ?

You recommended to disable them - How ?

It could be that the fixed SQL did not make it into your ANI database for some reason. You could try reinitializing the ANI database which will force a clean load of the stored procedures. This can be done with the command:

NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/bin/dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=ani dmprefix=ANI

I don't know when you've scheduled your minor acquisitions. However, you can view the period under Campus Manager > Administration > User Tracking > Acquisition > Schedule Acquisition. The default is to run every 60 minutes when a major acquisition is not running.

To disable the minor acquisition, set the period to 0.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: