Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Issue

chris.lau
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

I have 3 routers in my LAN network. R1, R2 and R3.

R2 <> R1 <> R3

At the same time, I have Layer 2 port channel connecting R2 and R3.

I have Vlan 1, 300, 500 and 700 on R2 and R3 routers with HSRP configured

HOwever, when layer 2 link between R2/R3 was down, all the VLANs were down and inaccessable.

Can I know why?

7 Replies 7

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

Can you send the configuration of both the routers.

Thanks,

Satish

Hello Satish,

The devices config are as specified in the file attached.

do you have any other ports on R2 or R3 connected to vlan 1, 300, 500, 700 or any other ports running as trunk port other than the port channel between R2 and R3?

Nope.There is no other port.

hi,

let me try to give my ideas. pardon me if my suggestion does not make sense. just trying to help and learn from all the experts here. =)

i was suspecting that because the only port (i.e. port channel trunk) associated to the vlans is down, thereby when your port channels is down, all your vlans is down.

maybe if you have other ports assigned to the vlans and the interface is up, your vlan might show as up.

Hello,

This is what I suspect too. At first, i thought as long as the R2/R3 remain connected to R1, all the VLANs subnets will be accessable.

However, it seems to be me that the layer 2 connection between R2/R3 also need to be up as well.

if you do a show vlans, is there any ports associated to R2 GigabitEthernet2/0/1 or R3 GigabitEthernet2/0/1?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card