Public guest access certficate error

Unanswered Question
Apr 28th, 2009

Wondering if anyone has run into this and how it was corrected.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Robert.N.Barrett_2 Tue, 04/28/2009 - 07:43

The browser is indicating that it does not trust the certificate. The explanation makes me think you are using the self-signed certificate that came with the controller for web auth. If so, then you need to either configure all of your machines to trust that certificate, or install a 3rd Party certificate on the controller that your machines already trust.

Here's some good 3rd Party certificate info:

Scott Fella Wed, 04/29/2009 - 04:00

Since you will need to purchase a certificate, make sure you get a root CA cert if you are running any code lower than 5.1.151 or else you can go with a chained cert. In my opinion, RapidSSL is cheap and they give you a root ca certificate which of course can be used in and version of code.

ehlers.kevin Wed, 04/29/2009 - 07:23

Also, you probably want to have a dns name instead of for your cert. To do this, we created another zone so we could resolve to "". It's a bit hokey, but the dns name is more meaningful to users than the ip address.

How did you get a chained cert to work? I've tried and never been successful. We're running 5.2 and 6.0 code. Right now we're using a root-signed Thawte cert for wireless auth.

Scott Fella Wed, 04/29/2009 - 07:39

I have never tried to use a chained cert, since using a root ca cert seems easier. There have been a couple post on chained cert, but I have not seen any instructions on how to combine the certs to be able to upload.

JOKUAL Tue, 12/01/2009 - 12:40

Hi everybody,

Does anyone know if this soltion also apply to Cisco 5508 Series Wireless Controller?.

See attached pictures

I got the same issue.

Peter Dahl

Microsoft MCSA/MCSE : 2000 + Security
Microsoft MCSA/MCSE : 2003 + Security
Microsoft MCITP: Server Administrator 2008
Microsoft MCTS: ISA, SCCM, SCOM, etc.
VMWare Certified Professional Vi3, Vi4
CompTIA A+, Network+, Server+,
Xian Io Certified Engineer
And more

Scott Fella Tue, 12/01/2009 - 13:13

Guest configuration is the same for all WLC's even the 5500's.  What code are you running on the 5508?  I know there is an issue with 3rd party certs on the and upgrading to fixes the problem.  It seems that with the 6.0.182, the certificate doesn't load properly.

This Discussion