cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Group VLAN for H-REAP

huangedmc
Level 3
Level 3

We were able to successfully implement AP Group VLAN's on our corporate WLC, but was wondering if it's doable for H-REAP AP's?

When an AP's in H-REAP mode, it locally switches user traffic through a local L3 switch / router, and therefore bypasses the WLC.

Anyone know if Group VLAN is supported in conjunction w/ H-REAP?

20 Replies 20

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you mean AP Group as well as H-REAP Group, then yes.

Could you point me to a link or website that explains how it works?

When we configure the AP Group VLAN, we need to map the SSID to the desired dynamic interfaces.

But since H-REAP AP's don't use those dynamic interfaces, how does the WLC tell the AP's which SVI's & VLAN's to use on the remote/local L3 switches?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

AP Group VLANs with Wireless LAN Controllers Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008073c723.shtml

Thank you for the prompt response and the links.

I apologize for not making it clear...but my question's still not answered.

I know exactly how to configure H-REAP and AP Group VLAN, and how they work.

We have about 1200 AP's running in H-REAP throughout our network.

For the large sites that have their own standalone WLC on the local network, we implement AP Group VLAN's to reduce the size of the broadcast domain.

My question here is for remote sites that don't have a local WLC and are running H-REAP mode, how is AP Group going to work since in H-REAP mode, the AP's don't use the dynamic interfaces that are configured on the WLC.

AP Group depend on the dynamic interface mappings to know which VLAN's or SVI's use the SSID.

Hi,

Have you find an answer for your question?

Because i'm dealing with same question. (I have read some docs and config examples)

How and where in H-Reap configuration are Dynamic interfaces configured in WLC for each WLAN that in remote site?

Best Regards

MC

If you configure the WLAN SSID for local switching, then the H-REAP AP will drop the traffic on the local vlan you map the ssid to.  If you do not locally switch the SSID, then the traffic will flow back to the WLC and out the dynamic interface.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hey Scott.

What if I want to drop the traffic on another VLAN rather than the one that the AP uses for its management? I might add that the APs are at a remote site, without a WLC.

What would the interface look like that is associated to the WLAN? Is it a dynamic one?

In my case we want to use VLAN900 for the management and VLAN902 for the locally switched traffic. The remote router will provide the DHCP address for the APs and clients.

Thanks

Scotty

What if I want to drop the traffic on another VLAN rather than the one that the AP uses for its management? I might add that the APs are at a remote site, without a WLC.

Once you configure the LAP ans an H-REAP AP, then you can map the ssid to a local vlan (remote side) as long as the ssid is configured for locally switchted.

What would the interface look like that is associated to the WLAN? Is it a dynamic one?

Locally switched ssid's do not have any dynamic interfaces created since traffic will be terminated locally at the remote site.

In my case we want to use VLAN900 for the management and VLAN902 for the locally switched traffic. The remote router will provide the DHCP address for the APs and clients.

This will work... just remember, the H-REAP LAP will have to connect to a trunk port allowing only VLAN 900 and 902.

Just remember these points:

1. Need to check local switching in the SSID for SSID's that you will use for H-REAP
  2. If more than one vlan is required, then the H-REAP LAP will connect to a dot1q trunk port only allowing vlans required
  3. You need to map the ssid to the local vlan
-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the quick response.

I have set the SSID to H-REAP Local Switching

How do I map the ssid to a local vlan?

What do I do with the Interface option, at the moment it is set to the management

The AP is set to H-REAP

I can change the native VLAN

But not the VLAN mappings.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you set the native vlan.... did you reset the AP?  You need to hit apply when you set the native vlan also then reboot the AP.

-Scott

I made a bit of an error in the last screen shots. The AP was in the wrong AP group.'

Now it is looking like this and I can edit the VLAN mapping.

I still am confused about the Interface though. Is the standard management on the right one to use? This is the one that the local APs use to register with.

Cheers

Scotty

Looks god...

You need to leave it on the management vlan unless you have to use that ssid in your central location.... H-REAP will not use that interface since they traffic will get dropped of at the remote side.

-Scott

Ok, will give that a go.

Thanks so much for your help. You saved from TAC torture.

After reading hundereds of pages I could not find this info.

Cheers

Scotty

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: