cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Software Upg(s) - Best Practices?

jmeyers55
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have several 2960 switches that are all running 12.2(35)SE5.

I know that 12.2(50)SE1 is out there, and I am curious when it is best to upgrade the software version?

If my switch is still PRE-production, am I better off to always upgrade to the current software on a switch if it still has not yet been deployed?

I saw in the release notes for (50)that there were some VLAN authentication updates, and we are in the midst of designing a VLAN deployment using some L3 switches.

Without KNOWING if I need a specific feature udpate, are there any best practices that may help guide me?

As mentioned, because this switch is not yet in production, I'm thinking that the time is right if I'm going to upgrade the IOS.

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Best practice is NOT jumping into a new IOS code unless you need a feature provided by the new IOS or your current IOS has a critical bug that is corrected with the new IOS.

With that said, it seems the new feature is worth having in your environment so 50SE1 may fit the bill. It's your call if you want to be exposed to new bugs.

HTH,

__

Edison.

1-Whenever possible, always keep both current and new IOS on same box so u can roll back.

2-compare config before and after, this wil ensure you have not lost some features with new IOS (at least syntax part).

3-Test what u can, monitor the rest.

HTH

Sam

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card